Trying to get some opinions on the 2017 Husqvarna tc250 jetting. I have 2.5hrs on the bike and 2 fouled plugs. 

Since switching from a yz250 and various 4t's, I have realized that my carburetor knowledge and setup is not what I thought it was. 

I'm currently at stock jetting and needle settings. If you have suggestions for jetting, air screw positions, idle screw from factory, etc. Please let me know! 

Looking to pick up a TX300 or KTM250XC in the next week.  The best advice I have from guys with those bikes is to follow the manual and run 60:1 premix.  Jet for your elevation per the manual, check float height.  Guy with the 300 was running 40:1, with a JD kit and opened up airbag was still struggling with jetting.  Switching to 60:1 and was able to jet with stock brass.  Also, check the reeds and block.  I plan to install Boyesen reeds from the get go.  

23 hours ago, SCIENCE said:

Looking to pick up a TX300 or KTM250XC in the next week.  The best advice I have from guys with those bikes is to follow the manual and run 60:1 premix.  Jet for your elevation per the manual, check float height.  Guy with the 300 was running 40:1, with a JD kit and opened up airbag was still struggling with jetting.  Switching to 60:1 and was able to jet with stock brass.  Also, check the reeds and block.  I plan to install Boyesen reeds from the get go.  

Those guys gave you bad advice and the TC comes jetted completely different and MUCH richer then the offroad models. KTM's manual's have recommended too rich of jetting for decades now. 

Pick your ratio and jet accordingly. 

On 6/18/2017 at 6:44 PM, hostile silence said:

Trying to get some opinions on the 2017 Husqvarna tc250 jetting. I have 2.5hrs on the bike and 2 fouled plugs. 

Since switching from a yz250 and various 4t's, I have realized that my carburetor knowledge and setup is not what I thought it was. 

I'm currently at stock jetting and needle settings. If you have suggestions for jetting, air screw positions, idle screw from factory, etc. Please let me know! 

I own one also.

The MX models came with pilots 5 sizes bigger then the offroad models along with a richer needle jet. I tired every combo possible and never was completely happy with the stock needles and ended up with a JD needle. JD makes one specifically for the TC/SX that is designed to be used with the richer "S-1" needle jet. 

IF you want to try to run the stock needles, drop to a 32.5 pilot, this helps with the rich first taper of the needle, 2nd clip and 420 main. Don't be surprised if you end up with a 30. Some are running 27.5's. Fast MX riders will be a bit richer. 

If you want to go JD he will have a baseline suggestion that will be blue 3rd, 430, 32.5.

1.5 out on the air screw is standard practice for a starting position.

• Like 1

Most my riding is 4k-5k. I'm running JD blue, 3rd, 420 main, 30 or 32.5 pilot(I'd have to double check)

I'll be doing some riding and mx at lower elevations soon and will run the same but move the clip to blue 3.5 and adjust the air screw a little, leave the main as is.

JD's needles are expensive($75) but they are the easiest answer for the mikuni's on these 17's, next best is putting a keihin on IMO, which JD happens to sell for $259 with his needles and jets included, which is a good deal in my book, 36mm, 38mm, and 39mm options too.. 

Most my riding is 4k-5k. I'm running JD blue, 3rd, 420 main, 30 or 32.5 pilot(I'd have to double check)

I'll be doing some riding and mx at lower elevations soon and will run the same but move the clip to blue 3.5 and adjust the air screw a little, leave the main as is.

JD's needles are expensive($75) but they are the easiest answer for the mikuni's on these 17's, next best is putting a keihin on IMO, which JD happens to sell for $259 with his needles and jets included, which is a good deal in my book, 36mm, 38mm, and 39mm options too.. 

I don't believe his 36mm he sells at that price point is for the '17's. You need the Keihin with the top that is held on with 2 screws not the twist top. The twist top ones are longer front to back and won't fit.

If one wants to get a Keihin, I found this place to be the cheapest. I just ordered a 36mm from a '15 300 XC-W for my '17.

http://www.ktmpartspro.com/oemparts/c/ktm/parts

On 6/25/2017 at 7:56 AM, KennyMc said:

I don't believe his 36mm he sells at that price point is for the '17's. You need the Keihin with the top that is held on with 2 screws not the twist top. The twist top ones are longer front to back and won't fit.

If one wants to get a Keihin, I found this place to be the cheapest. I just ordered a 36mm from a '15 300 XC-W for my '17.

http://www.ktmpartspro.com/oemparts/c/ktm/parts

Are you sure they won't fit? from what I've read others are saying they will? Did they use a shorter carb 13-16?

https://www.jdjetting.com/xcart/product.php?productid=158&cat=28&page=1

Edited by TommyB 754

i really don't get way you wolde go for all the trouble getting a  Keihin carb. its as easy to tune the mikuni as Keihin 

i have tund 3 of them by now just from the 2017 ktm and husky and many more from old jap bikes just be a bit moor patient

if you are not used to them all the 17 models i tuned are a blast to ride and others that ware tuned by the main huski dealership allso 

are good the ktm dealership did a rubbish job of it and all the bulshit on the local ktm furms only made things worse  

3 hours ago, TommyB 754 said:

Are you sure they won't fit? from what I've read others are saying they will? Did they use a shorter carb 13-16?

https://www.jdjetting.com/xcart/product.php?productid=158&cat=28&page=1

I believe this is the one for the 2017's (and the 2013-2016).  Yes, I believe they used the shorter ones in the newer years.  But to clarify, I would check with JD. 

https://www.jdjetting.com/xcart/product.php?productid=211&cat=28&page=1

Directly from JD 

"Yes, the 2004-2016 KTM version 36mm and 38mm PWK AG carburetors (2 screws on the top holding the cover) are the same length and have the same flange diameters within a small margin of the 2017 Mikuni TMXx (late-model oval slide). They will bolt right on while using the stock throttle cable."

4 hours ago, TommyB 754 said:

Directly from JD 

"Yes, the 2004-2016 KTM version 36mm and 38mm PWK AG carburetors (2 screws on the top holding the cover) are the same length and have the same flange diameters within a small margin of the 2017 Mikuni TMXx (late-model oval slide). They will bolt right on while using the stock throttle cable."

Ok, but I think we might have gone astray from my first answer to your post.  You had mentioned a Keihin for $259 with needles and jets.  That price is for the screw top Keihin's which I believe are the longer ones and won't fit.  I think that is where our mis-communication might be.