Should i trade my 04 yz250f for a 2002 rm125

so i can trade my 04 yz250f for a 2002 rm125 i ride mostly all trails. i am tired of my 4 stroke because it's nickle and diming me. i have a few questions about the RM. 

How is the reliability on 02 rm125/ Your opinions of bike

Will the rm125 be easier to maintain than my yz250f? 

What problems will pop up on this bike or common problems, what should i ask the seller about the bike?IMG_1669.thumb.PNG.182704ac1806d9f61e6031deec2cb7ed.PNGIMG_1670.thumb.PNG.8f02af7ef20be919da3c6ed690d79ba7.PNGIMG_1671.thumb.PNG.159df8b3db2ffb758ddc60120e6e2cf1.PNGIMG_1672.thumb.PNG.5f9c8437f6a1aab701c874bb7eb8ddf9.PNGIMG_1673.thumb.PNG.f5aa9228c41cad72c9dcce5524527464.PNG

IMG_1667.PNG

I owned an RM125, albeit an older one.  They wouldn't be my first choice.  If I were you, I'd be looking for a YZ125 or YZ250.  They are still making the bikes so parts should be available for a long time.  The Yamaha suspension is excellent.

Have you ridden a 125 2 stroke?  If you are coming from a 250 four-stroke and riding trails exclusively, make sure you want a 125 and not a 250 two-stroke.  The 125's are fun but they have to be ridden very aggressively.  You are not going to tractor up any hills.  The power is like a light switch.  It's either 8 HP off the pipe or 30+ on the pipe.  When I was a teen I did a lot of trail riding on an RM125.  I was a new rider at that time and struggled with anything technical especially hill climbs.  But the bike was a riot in the faster flowy trail because it was so nimble.

A YZ250 with a flywheel weight and a pipe suited for woods riding is something to consider if you don't want to have to be riding it very aggressively all the time or you want to ride through slower technical stuff.

Just out of curiosity how is your 4 stroke nickel and diming you to death?   Except for engine rebuilds the cost of ownership between a 2-stroke and 4-stroke should be similar.  The 4-strokes only get expensive when it's time to freshen the motor.  The problem might just be that your bike is 13 years old and is requiring the stuff any older bike would (chain,  sprockets, tires, bearings, cables, etc).  Going to an older 2 stroke is probably going to be the same issue.  If I were you I'd be looking for a low hour 2007+ YZ.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d

Unfortunately the used 2 stroke market is really high right now and a lot of people are asking a lot more for a used 2st than what they got for them in the past.

Today, 1600 probably isn't bad but that bike would probably only get between 900-1100 a few years ago.

That bike looks complete in the pics which is good but you can't really see much detail of the wear and tear on the parts.

For that price,you have to factor in that the chassis pivots, suspension and engine will likely need service on a bike that old. Most casual riders don't ever service their suspension until something breaks/leaks so expect that stuff to be beat. Check the lower fork tubes for knicks (new tubes are expensive), seals for leaks and general suspension action should be smooth. I'd almost guarantee that the swing arm and linkage bearings are shot but maybe you'll be surprised.

You have to expect that a lot of smaller wear items will be near the end of their life. Tires, chain/sprockets, chain block/rollers/sliders, cables, brake pads, air filter, clutch plates, misc fasteners, etc. That small stuff can add up real quick. The front tire knobs look really worn down so that's probably a stocker and ridden on the street a lot.

It's definitely in good enough shape to take a close look at and try to work out a good bargain. If you get it for the 900-1100 range then you'll have plenty left over to spend on suspension/top end and tires and then have a really good bike to ride.

As doc said, the RMs are not good bikes for tight, gnarly, hilly, trail riding.  They have no low speed grunt, but come on like a scalded cat at full throttle.  I have ridden both 2 and 4 strokes and like the torque and smooth power band of the 4 stroke for trail riding.