Compare current RMZ 250 to '03 Yamaha/'07 RMZ

So...been riding/racing since 1984, still mostly fit and doing MX track days at 53...love the sport.  I raced the 250Fs a dozen years ago and know all the benefits that they offer, and while I love my current 2014 YZ 250 smoker, I get arm pump very quickly and cannot do multiple laps at speed, prompting me to move back to a 4-stroke.  I can get a new RMZ 250 for a sweet price but would like to hear a few thoughts on how this bike might compare to 250Fs I have owned/raced...those being the 2003 Yamaha and 2007 Suzuki, or even the last carbed bike, the 2013 YZ-F 250.  I am an experienced, but somewhat mediocre C-class guy and want a reliable bike for track days.  If you have knowledge here, please feel free to offer up you thoughts.    How does the new bike compare to these older bikes??

Hey so i have a lot of experience on 250f's and 250s, I did the bulk of my racing from 04-08 and i rode or raced on honda's yami's kawi and suzukis 250fs. 

I recently was riding/racing a yz250 2t and just switched to a 2013 rmz250 with a 270 kit. 

the 250f wasnt my first choice, I have been on the bigger side so i decided to get away from 250fs and move to 250/450. I actually wanted and efi rmz450 but this came up and I was curios about the big bore. 

The yz motor is definitly quicker, it spools up faster and it has more power. I did run the 9oz fww, which helped a lot with getting traction. Biggest issue i had was handling. It was light but turns were a fight. I always felt i had to fight it around mid turn. 

250f, the RMZ handles turns and inspires you to hit them faster. I never hit any corner on my first two outings that i encountered an issue. What i wanted, it gave. The motor was slower though. You need to keep moving. If you try the old brake slide, pivot, then punch it move, you go slow. on a 250 2t its a great move. With the 270 i have the bottom power needed for being a heavier guy (190) to get over jumps and I feel i can ride this bike faster than the 250 2t but it requires a different approach to tracks. 

A Suzuki 250f of the last few years is the perfect track day bike for someone as honest as you OP. 

• Like 1