How to know when I am being too cocky or too timid when it comes to trying new jumps?

I always question if I should hit the next jump and I have always been on the more timid side but I feel like I am holding myself back sometimes. I guess I just dont see anything else that I need to learn to hit some bigger jumps. I come off the faces of jumps straight, i know how to hit my line in the rut on a face of a jump. I know how to hold my throttle to keep the bike from going nose high or nose down etc. 

I mean, how do you guys tell when you KNOW you are ready for that next big jump! 

overjumping is always safer to me. tables are easy to work up to. how big of a jump are we talking here?

If you have to "think" about hitting the big jumps, I wouldn't recommend it just yet. Never fails that I would overthink it and slow down or chop the throttle. It should be muscle memory. I started by pacing my friends speed that I knew could clear it and spent many years picking myself up out of the dirt. It takes time to build confidence as to what gear to be in, seat bouncing, tapping the rear brake etc etc. Work on the small ones until you understand the concepts above and the big boys actually become a lot of fun and much less intimidating. 

• Like 1

I am an overanalyzer kind of rider, before I started hitting the jumps I studied videos, read all I could find, and knew the basics before going for it. So I can relate to your struggles. Knowing what to expect is huge. I will absolutely agree that nothing can replace seat time. But while I'm not at the track I'm researching. 

That being said, I was where you are not too long ago. I would say you've got the basics pretty good and it's just a matter of nailing the ones you're comfortable with 100% of the time, and almost getting bored with them. Then at some point you just have to man up as they say. It helps very much to trail someone way better than yourself too. But tell them not to scrub otherwise you'll be flatlanding if you don't scrub LOL. (I speak from experience).

But in summary (finally) I would just say only you will know when you're ready. As long as you're consistently nailing medium ones don't be afraid to just huck it. Just make sure someone else is there in case they have to help you get to the ER LOL. 

Oh, don't let anyone pressure you if you don't feel it, go at your own pace, not everyone is on the pro circuit. 

• Like 2

Speaking of scrubs, make sure you're can jump high and low. Learn both on a jump you're comfortable with. If your suspension is not right you might not be loading it and flying as far for your speed and come up short.

• Like 1

Sometimes the window of, should I send it or not is very slim.  It comes down to, is it worth the risk???  What do you have to gain and what do you have to loose?  How are you going to feel if you jump it or if you don't??? Once you have the skill, it's all mental!!!