Magura Hydraulic Clutch

Yes, I had one on my 2011 yz250. It was on the bike when I bought it and whatever diameter size piston (I think it was 10.5mm) actually made my clutch pull harder. Eventually, I went back to a cable after replacing the line twice then having the seals go bad.

If you buy one with the correct size piston, it should make the clutch pull easier. I believe back when I looked into it they made a master cylinder with 11.5mm diameter piston that would decrease the force needed to pull the clutch.

Edited by EEE299

1 hour ago, EEE299 said:

Yes, I had one on my 2011 yz250. It was on the bike when I bought it and whatever diameter size piston (I think it was 10.5mm) actually made my clutch pull harder. Eventually, I went back to a cable after replacing the line twice then having the seals go bad.

If you buy one with the correct size piston, it should make the clutch pull easier. I believe back when I looked into it they made a master cylinder with 11.5mm diameter piston that would decrease the force needed to pull the clutch.

Not looking at it for easier clutch pull. 13' yz125 clutch pull is as easy as it gets for a full sized bike. Just looking at it as an upgrade.

There aren't many other benefits to going to a hydraulic clutch other than pull. Many people don't like the loss of feel either, however that didn't bother me. They do adjust themselves, but that can be a bad thing in terms of judging wear.

Is there something specific you want it for?

Edited by EEE299

Mainly the self adjustment and more consistent feel.

And because my cable adjustment is almost all the way out for some reason. Brand new full Hinson clutch system just put in 2 weeks ago. 

Well I guess I noticed it when I replaced the lever with the Sunline perch/assembly/lever kit. now it seems like the cable is 1/2inch too long.

I install one on my 250 for the same reasons. I work the clutch a lot and the disengagement point was all over the place with the cable.

Switching to the Magura got it more consistent, but the pull was about the same.  

When they are working they are great. But my slave cylinder started leeking, apparently this is very common. Magura doesn't sell replacement seal for the slave so you have to buy a new one...

• Like 1

For $250 that doesn't seem worth it. I saw a lot of reviews on Rocky Mountain ATV that said the same thing as you mxGringo. Seems like they're a little glitchy. Maybe ill just get a new cable/line and call it a day. or wait for Yamaha to do something for the neglected yz's and put on a factory hydraulic clutch system like the KTM's.

I'm currently running my cable again but I'm considering getting a rsc easy clutch, all the stunt riders use for easier pull.
Anybody used the rsc for mx?

I run a Magura clutch on my YZFs.   I love them.  The slave cylinder basically lasts forever if you get it installed right with zero side load.  One of my units is 3 years old.  No issues.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, MidlifeCrisisGuy said:

I run a Magura clutch on my YZFs.   I love them.  The slave cylinder basically lasts forever if you get it installed right with zero side load.  One of my units is 3 years old.  No issues.

How hard is the pull compared to stock?

Has anyone out there put the magura hydraulic clutch system on their yz's?

Running one on my 02' 250 .. absolutely love it .. have it paired to Hinson plates and basket .. it's does make for a softer pull imo but I was more interested in the consistency more than anything .. but one finger pull is nice as the day goes on .... I does have an adjuster on the lever, but it's more for finding the right spot for finger grip

The pull on my 2012 Honda was lighter. I really liked that they self adjust and I could say bye to the AOF knob.

I have one on my 250x, I run a Hinson clutch with heavier than stock springs, I would say the pull in about equal to the stock clutch with the lighter springs.

Just now, Not sponsored said:

I have one on my 250x, I run a Hinson clutch with heavier than stock springs, I would say the pull in about equal to the stock clutch with the lighter springs.

Is it weird that I trust your opinion because your name is "Not sponsored"?

I used a Magura first on a KX 250 f then put it on my YZ 250, I got about 3 years out of the master cylinder and the seals started leaking, prices of seals very expensive here so i went back to cable. The pull I found to be softer and the self adjustment was a big plus. Had 2 different slave cylinders for each bike and they both lasted over 18 months.  

Let me see you get about the same pull, add some 50 to 70gr of weight, and it costs you $250? That does not sound like an upgrade.

Apart you can have a a seal break or a piston lock which is worse. The wire clutch more that ripping apart can't happen.  

33 minutes ago, arnego2 said:

Let me see you get about the same pull, add some 50 to 70gr of weight, and it costs you $250? That does not sound like an upgrade.

Apart you can have a a seal break or a piston lock which is worse. The wire clutch more that ripping apart can't happen.  

The upgrade imo is the self adjustment, my 250x clutch lasted about a month. I replaced it with a Hinson which seems bullet proof however, it had to be constantly adjusted during a long race, the last thing I want to deal with during a 2 hour hare scramble. To me the cost was worth it, a slightly lighter pull was a bonus. If you can notice 50 to 70 extra grams of weight your a special individual.