Magura Hydraulic Clutch

10 hours ago, Not sponsored said:

The upgrade imo is the self adjustment, my 250x clutch lasted about a month. I replaced it with a Hinson which seems bullet proof however, it had to be constantly adjusted during a long race, the last thing I want to deal with during a 2 hour hare scramble. To me the cost was worth it, a slightly lighter pull was a bonus. If you can notice 50 to 70 extra grams of weight your a special individual.

Are the X clutches different? I never have to adjust the clutch on my yz250.

1 hour ago, arnego2 said:

Easiness and comfort has hardly improved sport and competition. Not that is needed to make it harder but the cable adjustment is just one time per ride.   

I don't have much experience with modern cable clutches, but one time per ride is not what I have observed.

4 hours ago, EEE299 said:

Are the X clutches different? I never have to adjust the clutch on my yz250.

The stock x clutch has lighter springs, probably why it didn't last long, the heavier Hinson set up needed to be adjusted much more often. Thicker plates, more expansion I'm guessing.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2017 at 5:37 AM, EEE299 said:

How hard is the pull compared to stock?

About the same.   When it is really cold out, winter riding, they pull harder.  In summer, with the 9.5mm master cylinder it is easier on the FXs.  On a WR450F, it is about 30% lighter, which is nice.

I like the Maguras because the engagement is crisp and consistent with really nice feel.   And they self adjust, so it is the same all the time.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy

I also put one on my yz250x..  I was skeptical before using it but have other bikes to put in on if it didn't work out...  Clutch pull seems the same on the stand but it does seem lighter while riding and leaves me less fatigued.   People say you get the disconnected feel switching to the juice clutch...I say the opposite... I now know the exact point  the clutch will slip and grab every time. IMO this is a HUGE benefit in technical stuff when you have to precisely lift the front...   I had 120 hrs on my stock X clutch before the switch and could tell an instant difference on the first ride with the Magura.  it's a great upgrade so far and as long as it holds up, I will keep it for sure... I did bring a spare cable setup to ID last week just in case but didn't need it...  Really fixed my main gripe with the 250x..

Thumbs up from me!

I think a lot of the complaints about the feeling of the hydro clutch are ktm specific due to the the Belleville washer set up instead of coil springs. Feels almost like the pull on a compound bow, hard initially then easier the further its pulled in. I found this on my 2014 husqvarna, the point of engagement seemed to be right where it went to more tension. I didn't notice it on the aftermarket Magura on the yz. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
I run a Magura clutch on my YZFs.   I love them.  The slave cylinder basically lasts forever if you get it installed right with zero side load.  One of my units is 3 years old.  No issues.

Sideload?
In my yz250 the slave is pretty loose in the engine case. Is it sopposed to be tight and snug?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using ThumperTalk mobile app

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/19/2017 at 4:20 PM, MidlifeCrisisGuy said:

I run a Magura clutch on my YZFs.   I love them.  The slave cylinder basically lasts forever if you get it installed right with zero side load.  One of my units is 3 years old.  No issues.

How did you install the slave to get zero side load?  The stock bracket on my 2017 YZ250FX doesn't seem to work for the Magura HYMEC slave cylinder.  It seems to be at the wrong angle and maybe also the wrong location for the slave's rod to move in and out freely.

5 hours ago, Max17 said:

How did you install the slave to get zero side load?  The stock bracket on my 2017 YZ250FX doesn't seem to work for the Magura HYMEC slave cylinder.  It seems to be at the wrong angle and maybe also the wrong location for the slave's rod to move in and out freely.

I don't know how to explain it and I am not near my bike. I'll take some pictures the next time I'm near my bike. 

• 11 months later...

I ran a magura clutch for many years not a single issue, but most people forget that the gold cap on the slave breathes and need to be removed and cleaned inside on a regular basis for long life, most slave failures that i have seen on other people's bikes  are just dirt stuck in the seal and stop leaking once disassembled thoroughly cleaned and bled.

Edited by john stu

On 6/19/2017 at 10:20 PM, MidlifeCrisisGuy said:

I know this post is a bit old. But I'm wondering what you mean with zero side load? My slave unit was kind of loose in the cover.