XR250R Difficult To Start After Hard Crash

2003 XR250R that is stock except for the air box mod, re-jet.  Bike has always been easy to start, 2-3 cold but like all, difficult after a crash.   This is issue is not your typical carb flood post crash but different.

Yesterday I washed the front tire out and wrecked hard on a double track.  After the crash the bike was near impossible to kick over for the remainder two hours we rode.  We took a couple breaks and it took the two of us 15 minutes to get it to start.  It also died a couple of times in the middle of the ride (2nd or 3rd gear).  After taking a 20 minute break at the truck and getting ready to ride again, finally gave up after numerous kicks with no luck.

I plan on pulling the carb and inspecting/cleaning to see if something became dis-lodged after the crash but was wondering if there was something else I should check.  As noted before, this bike has always been very easy to start aside from a carb flood.

Thanks for any advice....

The right side is where the manual decomp mechanism on the head is. If you buggered it's adjustment, mechanism or cable, it could be holding the right exhaust valve open. Check other simple things like wiring, spark plug cap installed right.

It's not unheard of for the impact of a bad crash to alter the float setting.

Edited by Trailryder42
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Trailryder42 said:

The right side is where the manual decomp mechanism on the head is. If you buggered it's adjustment, mechanism or cable, it could be holding the right exhaust valve open. Check other simple things like wiring, spark plug cap installed right.

It's not unheard of for the impact of a bad crash to alter the float setting.

Very good...thank you sir for the advice.

I've had a no start before back when I was messing with carb settings idle mixture screw and I ended up fouling the spark plug because it started right up with a new spark plug. Might be worth checking it or try a new one when you get it to act up again. 

• Like 1

Reading @ZachPoper post about his squealing and dieing XR, I am reminded that after my hard crash, I had a temporary squealing noise from the right side that eventually went away but I have much of the same issues as his XR. I've been too busy with work to try much other than starting it successfully cold but again couldn't start it while warm.