JDJetting Kit vs Factory KTM Kit

Hi guys,

I recently got a 2015 250 XC-W, which came with the original jetting, and that I need to re-jet to accommodate  altitude here in Colorado, as most of the riding I do is between 7500-1000 ft.

I have no experience at all in jetting bikes, as I have always ridden at sea level before, so I'm trying to figure out what's the best choice I can pick from what's out there, or at least the ones I'm aware of.

Having this said, I have been trying to decide between two choices

1. Get a JDJetting Kit

2. Get the Original KTM Needle and Jets that are recommended on the owner's manual.

Without reading anything or getting any kind of insight, my first impression was, ok, if KTM is making the ones that I need, it would make more sense to get those as the actual manufacturer is making them, but based on what I have been seeing on some sites, seems like the JD ones might even be a better choice, but I was not able to define what makes them better, and if that's actually the case, so wanted to get your thoughts on it.

Thanks

• Like 1

If you want to spend the money and not worry to much go with the JD. I havent bought one but from most things I read theyre pretty accurate with the suggestions on what to run. Otherwise start playing around with settings and do a bunch of reading. This is what I would actually suggest because its what I just recently did and once you dive into it you really start to understand why your bike feels the way it does.

I was kind of intimidated by jetting at 1st since my last few bikes were FI, I went with JD and it's really close.  Quality ride time is worth more than the $75, money well spent for me.  Now I can swap out jetting in just a few minutes and when I ride other spots/ elevation, it's kind of fun.  I pretty much just change twice a year unless I am traveling.  We sold the 350 xcf FI so now I have 2 bikes to jet, might be less fun though my wife almost has it down now too. 

Go with the JD kit if you don't want to mess around.  It's "plug and play".  I have used them on 3 bikes with good to outstanding results.  I am currently considering a JD kit for one of my Yamaha YZs.  I can get it to run perfectly in the winter, but I'm not having much luck getting a clean low and mid range in the warm and muggy Georgia summer.  Swapping brass in the summer heat is not much fun.  I may just go with the kit for this bike.  

On 6/20/2017 at 1:53 AM, rulo87 said:

Hi guys,

I recently got a 2015 250 XC-W, which came with the original jetting, and that I need to re-jet to accommodate  altitude here in Colorado, as most of the riding I do is between 7500-1000 ft.

I have no experience at all in jetting bikes, as I have always ridden at sea level before, so I'm trying to figure out what's the best choice I can pick from what's out there, or at least the ones I'm aware of.

Having this said, I have been trying to decide between two choices

1. Get a JDJetting Kit

2. Get the Original KTM Needle and Jets that are recommended on the owner's manual.

Without reading anything or getting any kind of insight, my first impression was, ok, if KTM is making the ones that I need, it would make more sense to get those as the actual manufacturer is making them, but based on what I have been seeing on some sites, seems like the JD ones might even be a better choice, but I was not able to define what makes them better, and if that's actually the case, so wanted to get your thoughts on it.

Thanks

forget the ktm needle 

research suzuki needles and learn to jet ,  its pretty easy and you will have to know the basics anyway if you get a jd kit

Can't recall if I mentioned this to you or not... but my $0.02...

DON'T forget the ktm needle.  IMHO.  I have both my katos jetted based on the specs in the chart in their respective manual.  Using factory ktm needles.  Based on average temp and elevation for here (obviously?).  And both bikes run as close to perfect as I ever need.  I've raced both from ~5k ft up to ~9k ft and have ridden both up to treeline ~12k ft with no issues and plenty of power to get me up anything I needed to get up.

That being said... it's not uncommon for similar bikes to need slightly different jetting.  So all the posts about 'playing and learning' more about jetting would be well worth it.  

I had a JD kit with my 300 but ended up going back to the ktm needle with much better results.  To each his own I suppose.  Hit me up if you want more details...

I wouldn't forget the KTM ones....if they are in the manual.....I bet it's for a reason, and I would say they know a couple things about this stuff...

I will always tend to go with whatever the manual suggest, so for me, the KTM ones would be my choice....but since I have seen many good notes on the JD, I was trying to understand what was behind...

Still looks like KTM ones will give you all you need

5 hours ago, rulo87 said:

I wouldn't forget the KTM ones....if they are in the manual.....I bet it's for a reason, and I would say they know a couple things about this stuff...

I will always tend to go with whatever the manual suggest, so for me, the KTM ones would be my choice....but since I have seen many good notes on the JD, I was trying to understand what was behind...

Still looks like KTM ones will give you all you need

KTM's manual has had screwy jetting suggestions since the 90's, they flat do not work for most people. 

What works GREAT in the keihin equiped KTM 250's is 42pilot, 165main and NECJ(RM250) needle for  starting point, adjust as needed. 

IMO there is absolutely no need for a jd kit on the keihins, there are SO many options but the RM needle is the most widely used and liked, plus it's $60 bucks cheaper. 

Edited by TommyB 754
  • Like 3

If you can get jetting suggestions from someone near you, try those with the KTM stuff. I have done this route on multiple bikes and they have been OK. I have also put JD kits in a couple bikes and they are great with recommended settings- no having to play around. For ease of set up and to go riding- JD kit. To learn and experiment- factory stuff.