Trail Riding Recommendations

Hello all,

I rode and raced MX for 20+ years, finally hanging up the boots in 2013. However, we kept my wife's XR250 (2003) and just bought my daughter her first bike as she wanted to start riding (2003 CRF150F). She is proficient on her bicycle (she's 10) but has never ridden a motorcycle yet.

i thought the best way to get her started would be some nice easy trail rides with her and I'll take the 250 (she may progress to tracks but (a) that will be awhile and (b) I'm not hitting the track on a bone-stock XR250, lol...

i am in the greater Monroe area and was looking for some advice on trail options for us, bearing in mind we are starting from scratch with her skills. My thought was some fire roads and/or wide, smooth trails as opposed to anything technical for now. Unfortunately my whole riding area knowledge base was MX so the only place I know of semi-local would be walker valley (went there for a dealer demo day once but don't remember much about it).

thanks for any help!

The closest place is Reiter Foothills. That might be an OK place to start. I personally don't think Walker Valley is very well suited to beginners, so I would avoid it for now. Tahuya State Forest is a great choice with plenty of easy terrain.

The three mentioned above are all managed by DNR and require a discover pass for parking. Trail maps are here:  http://www.dnr.wa.gov/go#trail-maps.1

I believe Taneum also has a couple of beginners loops. This is mostly National Forest land in the Cle Elum ranger district. A NW Forest Pass is required for parking at Natl Forest trail heads. Check out: http://www.cleelumtrails.com and get the new ORV maps which shows the beginners loops.

Enjoy the rides. 

Danny

• Like 1

If she's on a small wheeled bike try to pick trails that aren't all gravel and rock. Dirt is better on those little wheels.  1st time you might take her to a vacant grassy sports or soccer field. Don't take your big bike though. Most peeps won't have a problem with dad running around and daughter on small bike learning.

• Like 1

Taneum Junction has a good kid loop that is dirt.  My kids loved it when they were younger.  Rode it all dayyyy looonnnngggg.

• Like 1

I'll second Tahuya and add Middle Waddell in Capitol State forest - nice campground and parking area with kid friendly trails all around. 

Go to Reiter if you're in Monroe. Lots of complaining on here about that site (it's too easy, not enough challenge, over engineered, over spent, lost all the good trails) but it's perfect for your intended use. 

• Like 1

The closest place is Reiter Foothills. That might be an OK place to start. I personally don't think Walker Valley is very well suited to beginners, so I would avoid it for now. Tahuya State Forest is a great choice with plenty of easy terrain.
The three mentioned above are all managed by DNR and require a discover pass for parking. Trail maps are here:  http://www.dnr.wa.gov/go#trail-maps.1
I believe Taneum also has a couple of beginners loops. This is mostly National Forest land in the Cle Elum ranger district. A NW Forest Pass is required for parking at Natl Forest trail heads. Check out: http://www.cleelumtrails.com and get the new ORV maps which shows the beginners loops.
Enjoy the rides. 
Danny

I'm in the same boat as the original post.... my kids learning and I'm looking for EZ trails, we went to tahuya and found some harder stuff that kept dead ending.

Can you recommend a specific trail in tahuya that's easier? We put in near the 4x4 area and wound up on dead end single track that was tough for me and near impossible for him

5 hours ago, clayfarrer said:

I'm in the same boat as the original post.... my kids learning and I'm looking for EZ trails, we went to tahuya and found some harder stuff that kept dead ending.

Can you recommend a specific trail in tahuya that's easier? We put in near the 4x4 area and wound up on dead end single track that was tough for me and near impossible for him

I grew up riding in the tahuya forest. My dad lives on a lake in the western part of the forest. We used to access the trail system via tree farms and DNR roads. I have not ridden in the area for over 15 years, but i am still confident in saying what i am about to say. Having spent time in the area doing other activities, i know the geography of trails has not changed much. My guess is the only thing that has changed is that the trails are marked better than they where. Looking at a map i see some new single track trails have been built that i have never been on. When i get back from my injury, i will have to check out some of that single track that i have never been on. Some of those are very close to my dads place.

My advise would be to stick to the trails around camp spillman and the tahuya river camp. You can access those trails from the effendahl pass parking area. If your interested in a longer ride try and get out to the howell lake loop. Those trails where always fairly easy for the most part. Only things that might be difficult would be tree roots and some hills that could cause troubles for a new rider. Nothing will be impossible for him, but some parts will challenge him. The challenging parts will be good teaching moments that are good for building confidence.

I have enclosed a map. The area`s i am referring to are west of effendahl pass. If you stay to the west and on the trails marked in blue, you should be fine.

http://file.dnr.wa.gov/publications/eng_tahuya_both.pdf  

Only rode at Tahuya one time, it was alot of fun, just watch out for head on's near the staging areas.

Any 2 track trail would be a good start. Just make sure you are out in front. Don't want the little to have a head on with a bigger bike. I think the further you get away from the staging area, the safer it should be. I generally ride all the singletrack, only use 2 track trails to get from singletrack to singletrack. Maybe try Tahuya River or Mission creek trails

Little Jeff

Go to Reiter.  I was there last weekend with my 10 year old son on his TTR-110.  There are lots of gravel logging roads to ride to get confident and then you can progress to the easy quad trails and then to the MC single track.  Most of it is very easy and the area is small.

I was also pleasantly surprised that the new freshly cut MC trails are real trails.  Some of the new stuff is getting more technical.  

• Like 1