300 crank seal

We need to do a clutch side crank seal on my buddy's 2015 300 and he's convinced that you can take off the basket and primary gear and replace the seal where I say you have to split the cases. Can you really do it without splitting?

6 minutes ago, endurottr said:

We need to do a clutch side crank seal on my buddy's 2015 300 and he's convinced that you can take off the basket and primary gear and replace the seal where I say you have to split the cases. Can you really do it without splitting?

Your friend is right. Check out the play in crankshaft. 

Yes, your friend wins. REMEMBER the primary gear is left hand thread. It is the tightest nut on the bike - Andrew Cooksey - legend - has a great way of tightening it up by meshing an old primary gear between the primary gear and clutch basket to lock the gear up to the required torque..

Edited by 7Tktm
  • Like 1

Yes, your friend wins. REMEMBER the primary gear is left hand thread. It is the tightest nut on the bike - Andrew Cooksey - legend - has a great way of tightening it up by meshing an old primary gear between the primary gear and clutch basket to lock the gear up to the required torque..

Don't have an extra primary gear laying around but I guess putting it in fifth gear and holding the rear brake will have to be good enough do you happen to know the torque spec on that nut?

4 hours ago, endurottr said:

Don't have an extra primary gear laying around but I guess putting it in fifth gear and holding the rear brake will have to be good enough do you happen to know the torque spec on that nut?

DOnt tighten it up that way - you will be putting strain on something you shouldnt - lock something between the gears like a copper coin or 2

• Like 1

We got it knocked out had to stack three pennies together to get it tight but it's done.

I found one on eBay for $8. Just waiting to need to use it... I bought it after I used a penny. I personally don't recommend the penny trick because it had actually crushed and meshed between the gears, putting a LOT of strain on the bearings. Never again. The gear is the way to go, easy and cheap.

Btw to OP, instead of screwing into the seal to get it out, I found that my homemade leak down tester (something everyone with a 2t should have) does a good job of popping it out :) No danger of damaging the case or something valuable with a drill.