yz250f shifting problem

2006 yz250f

a friend of mine just bought a nice clean yz250f that appears to have low hours maybe 60

about half an hour into our ride yesterday (just logging roads) he says it isn't shifting like it should any more. it worked perfect at the beginning of the ride and when i test rode it before.

so i hopped on the bike to check it out, first gear works fine. then  you have to shift about three times up to get to second. from there you can shift up to fifth ok as long and you don't  give it much throttle, if you do it pops out of gear. once in fifth it stays in gear under load no problem 

what do you guys think happened? he is new to riding so maybe he shifted too hard and bent a fork? i assume the whole motor has to come apart to fix?

thanks

Hows the clutch as far as condition and adjustment? If you dont know I would check that out starting with adjustment per the manual prescribed procedure and if that doesn't work take it apart an inspect the components.

Far as shifting too hard, people hammer on their bikes and they dont bent shift forks. I am leaning towards it is a clutch problem, ie not fully disengaging and made worse when everything is hot and swelled up which is why he noticed it more 1/2hr in.

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF

the clutch looks fine. i pulled the side cover off to get at the shift stop lever just need to borrow my bros impact to get the clutch off. when i pulled the side case off i noticed a ball bearing dropped onto the floor in my shop. it is around 1/4 inch in size. any idea where that goes? thanks again for the help!

edit i found it goes on the clutch pushrod

Edited by buddasahk

So the stopper bearing looks fine. When I shift thru the gears it will shift ok from 2-5 but won't go into neutral or first. Guess the shift forks are bent??

IMG_3678.JPG

Edited by buddasahk