Chain and sprocket replace

Hi, I'm just wondering how long all of you out there wait before replacing your sprockets. I'm replacing my chain, and I think I will also do the front sprocket, but need I do the rear? Also, is it OK to buy (and use) one of those cheap off-brand chains I see on eBay? They are like $16, and it's kind of tempting.

Thanks,

I usually replace the whole set when the sprocket teeth start to belly out or just starting to lean.

Several years ago I put on on of those gold $20 Chinese ebay chains to get me buy for a few days, it was in the toolbox as an emergency spare.  I ended up using it an entire summer, but I lubed it every ride and cleaned it approx. every 3rd ride.  By the time I took it off it was like a piece of rope, you could tie it in a knot.  I would recommend buying a decent chain, but you can get by for awhile with a cheapie.

I don't know about the chains on eBay never tried them. I always use Renthal chains and sprockets, always had good luck with them.

• Like 1

Don't buy as cheap chain. If your rear spricket is truly in good shape, you anc re-use it (post a picture and we can critque it, it you like, just get a clear picture showing a few teeth. Ditton with the front.

I always replace both sprockets and the chain, but I wear them out and not as a abusive as some guys that trash chains before wear is a real factor.Oring chains cost more and last longer.

Yikes, a $16 chain?  Considering the seller is probably taking 50% of that as profit that means the manufacturer is selling it to them for $8.  They have to make some profit too, so labor and material is probably $4.  That's not to mention overhead, design, packaging, defraying the cost of the automated machinery, etc. 

Considering that a broken chain can result in irreparably case damage, I don't think I'd trust a chain that they spent $4 making.  Not to mention at that price it's probably some poor abused prisoner being forced to make it and I think that is pure evil.

Doc

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, DirtbikeBradley said:

Just wondering, if I don't replace a old sprocket, will it ruin a new chain? What's the harm?

Put a new chain on an old sprocket and look at how it fits on the sprocket. Then do that with a new chain and a new sprocket and see how it fits. That should give you the answer.

If you don't race hard, I'd recommend steel sprockets.

JT Racing makes them and they're pretty good.

• Like 1

If you don't race hard, I'd recommend steel sprockets.
JT Racing makes them and they're pretty good.

Thanks, I don't race at all, I just trail ride (and not too hard).
Thank you
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, MarioThePlumber said:

I'm on my 4th year with the same X-ring chain and aluminum rear sprocket. The sprockets are looking great and I'm not quite halfway in my chain adjustments. 

I also maybe put 20-30 hours on my bike a year.

Don't you feel like you forget how to ride with so little riding? I get 10 hours a week and feel bad it is only 10.  I can't imagine 20hr a year unless it was on something I hated like a Hardley Makeitson..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wielywilly-g said:

Don't you feel like you forget how to ride with so little riding? I get 10 hours a week and feel bad it is only 10.  I can't imagine 20hr a year unless it was on something I hated like a Hardley Makeitson..

How do you get 10 hours a week in Illinois?

1 minute ago, wielywilly-g said:

? 5 Sat and 5 Sunday.  Or do you mean how do I find any riding in IL?

Yep.  I left there in 1980 and by then riding was becoming scarce.

It has gotten worse in the last few years. I was a member of 3 clubs that had good riding, and had 5 other places that I could go to pay for the day that were nice.  Now I am down to 2 clubs and 3 pay per day. My favorite place I have to drive two hours south, but it has a 22 mile loop of tight wooded trail that has lots of logs and creeks and hill climbs so it is worth the drive. I heard one of the day pay spots that is 2.5 hr from me purchased more land and has some real hard single track so maybe some hope there.

For the club I lost that was 50min drive from me, the land owners insurance demanded he kick us out, even though we had been leasing from the family since 1964 and never had any claims against his insurance and our membership was about 90 people. Our club went out and got a $5000 insurance policy. His insurance company said they still wanted us out and wouldn't honor our policy. That was Feb 13 2016 we got locked out of our riding grounds and still nothing has been resolved.  We still have meetings and money, but no place to ride.

Edited by wielywilly-g

1 hour ago, wielywilly-g said:

It was just hard to find time... Last year I only got my bike out on 5 occasions. 

This year is much different. I bought a membership to a local track and have been out about 10 times so far. I usually go out for 4 hours on a Friday or Saturday evenings.

• Like 1