Honda XL250R hose connection question

I inherited a partially stripped 1985 Honda XL250R bike.  I have it mostly together and running, but there are 2 sets of hoses that I don't know if they're connected correctly. One is a braided hose that I believe ultimately comes from the top of the gas tank cap.  Where does it attach?  It has a clamp on the end as though it does attach somewhere.  Additionally, thiere is a hose connected to the overflow of the dual carbs (one connection on each carb bowl).  This leads to a shorter leg and a longer leg.  I'm assuming the shorter leg is just to spill over onto the ground, but where does the longer leg attach?

California bikes have these hoses to meet emissions regulations. Sounds like you are missing the canister the hoses connect to. I took out all the hoses and canister. Just kept a crankcase hose that vents under the swingarm pivot and have the carb hoses routed normally.

Thanks TT.  I'm assuming this is for the hoses that connected to the carb drains?  What about the braided rubber hose that connects to the tube coming off the top of the gas tank cap?

Best,

chad

I see now.  Looks like both sets of hoses (both those from the carb drain and the hose from the gas tank) would connect to the canister.  Do you have any idle issues without the canister present?

vacuum.JPG

evap canisters are emissions regulations dealies....they're full of carbon and catch and contain fumes and such that leak out of the tank (or your carbs) instead of just venting to air. they have no connection to performance other than being extra weight. if you want to keep the air clean, keep the can. if you don't care about a little bit of fuel vapor floating around....remove it...since yours is already gone, you don't have to worry about the hoses. TYPICALLY you have to cap off the other end of the hoses so that you don't fill your carb with water or something.