Sign in to follow this  

Worn inner fork tube?

Working on my sons 09 kx450f again to try to keep us riding together on weekends, but not sure if these parts are too worn or what. He had leaky fork seals so I pulled the forks off and opened the first one. I drained only 150ml from the outer tube and I believe the manual recommends 350 range for the outer tube so feel he has been riding with the level way to low. He complained after last ride they felt terrible so that's what stated all this.

Anyhow I figured I'd swap the seals and the oil and call it a day but the inner fork tube has some wear at the top and the bushings are maybe also worn out? I took some pics to post to get your advise.

Thanks for any hellp.

083.JPG

081.JPG

085.JPG

Edited by Ben Tarlecky

Bushing and metal slide look worn. The Tube however is ok IMO. Just take a Green scotch Brute pad and clean around the tube where you think it's worn at in the pic. It may just be a stain from the fluid.

I was concerned with the tube where the bushing sits, ithe black coating is worn away and the bare metal is exposed. I assume this is from the inside of the bushing rubbing it. Is that normal?

It looks like it's just polished the high spots off

I got all new bushings, the inner tube guide bush groove is where all the coating is worn off the tube. The bushing sits in this groove and the cooper side of the bushing contacts there. The old bushings had no copper coating left at all. I am going to replace the bushings and seals and refill to spec tonight but hope that the coating being work off the inner tubes doesn't cause the bushings to fail prematurely.