No more Storm Trooper!!

I ended up going with the 2014-2016 KTM EXC headlight mask with the Baja Designs Squadron. It was a pretty straight up swap. The 14+ mask has holes on the side, I'm guessing for turn signals maybe? Anyway they line up with the stock mask holes. Had to make a small bracket on the bottom, no big deal.  I ended up lowering and centering the speedo and moving the key cause they stuck up above the KTM mask about an inch. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Thanks. It's pretty damn bright actually. I don't do much night riding really. All street too. I did like the other light but wanted to update the look. 

Does it have a light cutoff so it's not blinding people? Looks awesome!

Finally rode the bike at night. Wifey needed something at the store so I figured wtf, I'll take a ride. Store bout 20min away. So I think it went well. The two top LEDs act as a spot lighting the road while the two lower LEDs are flood lighting left and right. All reflective signs lit up like they were illuminated. The light may be a touch high but I don't think I can get it much lower. No one flashed their lights at me but if I got too close to car in front of me I could see inside the car light up, so I kept my distance. No one pulled out in front of me either, so I felt seen. Also the tag lights I used did a nice job, lighting the tag and the whole back of the bike including the rear tire and the ground from side plastics back. All in all I could see great and the bike was lit front&rear feeling pretty safe. 

I ended up going with the 2014-2016 KTM EXC headlight mask with the Baja Designs Squadron. It was a pretty straight up swap. The 14+ mask has holes on the side, I'm guessing for turn signals maybe? Anyway they line up with the stock mask holes. Had to make a small bracket on the bottom, no big deal.  I ended up lowering and centering the speedo and moving the key cause they stuck up above the KTM mask about an inch. 
image.thumb.jpeg.0702990b402901eff37bcec6e4425d73.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.0931f513685d774f73e4421fecd023ab.jpeg
image.jpeg.85f4b780d12f899d85e480b4d29f9153.jpeg

This looks great man! I actually just ordered a similar setup, & asked on TT about anyone else who’s done this before. Someone linked your post. I ordered the 2014 KTM EXC headlight, which is slightly different but I’m hoping it will be as easy as it was for you. If u have any pointers let me know, I thought about ordering the matching ktm fender so I’d have the posts at the fork to hook the bottom of the headlight up to, but I figured I’d try to mount a bracket up first.
IMG_1168.JPGIMG_1169.JPG

Thx. Yeah I put the link on your post. Figured it might help. I just made a small tab from the center light bolt down to the factory center mount on the forks. I did sand the tab on the forks as much as I could, prolly 1/4" to get the mask angle better. The light was facing up pretty bad at 1st. Pretty easy project that changes the whole bike!

• Like 1

I went with a similar set up except I used the 08 mask, light, and front fender. I also set it up using the Skene dimmer that I think works well.

25707144032_4bbd52ae36_b.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ptgarcia said:

Hey Durf, did your KTM setup come with an H-4 plug installed? 

It comes plug and play ready for the KTM. I cut off the plug to wire it to the dimmer

It comes plug and play ready for the KTM. I cut off the plug to wire it to the dimmer

I know it's plug and play, just wanted to verify it has an H-4 plug. Or maybe it connected further down the harness? No worries if you're not sure.

12 minutes ago, ptgarcia said:
1 hour ago, Durf said:

I know it's plug and play, just wanted to verify it has an H-4 plug.

No, just a hardwired pigtail from the light itself to the stock style ktm plug.

Thanks Durf. I thought they were using the headlight connector at the bulb to adapt the light but it sounds like they are going to the connector at the harness. 

So it turned out pretty slick, you’re absolutely right Ondastreet about the angle, it was way too high so I fabricated a custom mount & sanded off part of the inside of the headlight shell to get a better angle. & as for your question ptgarcia, it did not come with an h4 plug, just a black ground wire & a white “hot” wire. I simply soldered the ground wire to the ground input on the old h4 clip, then split the white wire & soldered each to the headlight input & brights input. That way its always on, & my brights activate my auxiliary lights as well. Here’s a couple pics of how it turned out...
IMG_1307.JPGIMG_1308.JPG

• Like 3

On 6/19/2017 at 4:20 PM, Ondastreet said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I don't mean to revive the old thread but... Any tips on how u guys mounted these?

On October 24, 2018 at 5:57 PM, mightymikee said:

I don't mean to revive the old thread but... Any tips on how u guys mounted these?

I'm not sure how to explain it any better than the post you quoted. If you have a specific question, I'll try to answer it. You can see the side mounting bolts, the original location btw. Also the small tab I used on the bottom in this pic. 

image.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ondastreet said:

I'm not sure how to explain it any better than the post you quoted. If you have a specific question, I'll try to answer it. You can see the side mounting bolts, the original location btw. Also the small tab I used on the bottom in this pic. 

image.png

LOL. You got me.  I only looked at the pics and did not read the actual posts.  Any pics on how the bottom bracket is fabricated?  Did you just spliced the harness front stock to the new light?  How did you differentiate the high to low?

18 hours ago, mightymikee said:

LOL. You got me.  I only looked at the pics and did not read the actual posts.  Any pics on how the bottom bracket is fabricated?  Did you just spliced the harness front stock to the new light?  How did you differentiate the high to low?

Just a flat tab with a slight bend to it. I drilled the plastic tab on the new light shroud and nut n bolted it to the tab I made. I used a multimeter to test the high n low beam wires. I used the low wire since my light doesn't have high beam. If I want the light "off" I put the switch to high setting and it goes out. I used spade terminals to plug into original plug so I didn't have to cut anything. Also cut the KTM fender pins off since I didn't use KTM fender  

image.jpeg

Edited by Ondastreet
  • Helpful 1