ttr125 Fitting a TT-R125 for 6'1", 200lbs man?

I just bought a 2001 125. I'm 6'1 200 lbs, I know, I know, it's too small, but I have never owned a bike and at 40 years old I didn't want something too powerful to start with. It needs pretty much all the basic things replaced, but it runs very well and I guess my question is what should I do to make it a little better for my size? Don't have a lot of money, but have had a blast with the bike since I got it last week. I would appreciate any feedback, thanks 

• Like 1

Ordering a heavy duty sprig set (forks n rear), a new shifter ( hopefully fixes the only 4 gears problem), and a manual other than that just want to take care of it ya know? The bike hasn't had any maintenance work, the oil was evil looking and I just want to know what I should be doing. I guess the manual will tell me a lot tho, right? (Thanks for replies btw) don't even know how to adjust the height.

6 hours ago, illiteratepoet76 said:

Ordering a heavy duty sprig set (forks n rear), a new shifter ( hopefully fixes the only 4 gears problem), and a manual other than that just want to take care of it ya know? The bike hasn't had any maintenance work, the oil was evil looking and I just want to know what I should be doing. I guess the manual will tell me a lot tho, right? (Thanks for replies btw) don't even know how to adjust the height.emoji45.png

A larger rear sprocket may do you some justice. Help pull your hind end out of corners with out destroying the clutch. Try 2 or 3 teeth larger on the rear. Other than that jet it correctly and I think you'll be happy with the power for at least a year or 2. 

Front sprocket gets a little more confusing and causes bigger changes. Also more difficult to swap. Where are you looking at? there are definitely more options than 49 and 54. If you can find a 51 that may help ya.

If you know a welder, I would gusset up the fame big time.  I'm 160 lbs. and It broke mine in half.  But I had my buddy fix it better than new.  

Leave the gearing alone.  It will be fine.  Do not put any additional money into the bike other than springs and maintenance.  After a few months you will want something larger with more power.  You should be able to sale the 125 for probably what you paid.  Don't worry about the frame breaking either unless you are jumping all the time.

• Like 1

Thanks you guys, I appreciate all the feedback, seriously. I paid $800 for the bike, is that a decent price?

Ya, don't put any money in it, flog it until you don't grin anymore, then upsize.

lol now that sounds like a plan

• Like 1

The frame is butter.  The tubing is way too small and no cradle is a recipe for disaster.  Welding and gusseting doesn't cost much and is cheap insurance.

2007_0518ttr10011.JPG