Hydraulic Brakes 'stiffer' in warm weather?

Hi all. I have a 2017 crf250r with 10 hrs on it.

i recently took it to the dealer where I bought it to have valves checked and adjusted. I could do it myself but really didn't feel like it. Without going off on a tangent, upon test riding it after the work was done, the mechanic laid my bike over in the parking lot. While they said it just scratched the front lever (and then replaced it), I knew right away the front brake was messed up. It was super touchy and actually had the front brake locked up a little even with no hand on the lever. I mentioned this to them and they took it back in, screwed around with stuff, and said it was fine. it still was way too touchy, super stiff and just wasn't right. By the time I turned around, he had the door shut and was out of sight (closing time)...now the integrity of the shop is a whole other issue (much more detail as to what happened), but I took the bike back the next day.  You know that nice solid feel of brakes when they're bled properly? Mine had been like that. Then after he dumped the bike, they were super tight (on and off), so much to the point that I couldn't even get the lever back on after taking it off to look for myself. 

They made it right In the end (said they flushed fluid, was hudrolocked) which I call bs on, but when I got it back it was back to normal. However, yesterday it was in the 90s here and it seemed like things stiffened back up again.not to the point that it had been, but definitely stiffer than when I had picked it back up.I checked it today and it seemed a little 'softer' and back to normal again with temps today back into the 70s. I never really thought of t before but would super hot days make that fluid expand and 'stiffen' the lever action up, or should I be taking it back saying it's still not right?

i want it like new, like it was when I took it in.  Wondering if I'm being too finicky or if this change in action (slight, not super drastic) is normal.

rob

8 minutes ago, Rob Reffner said:

Hi all. I have a 2017 crf250r with 10 hrs on it.

i recently took it to the dealer where I bought it to have valves checked and adjusted. I could do it myself but really didn't feel like it. Without going off on a tangent, upon test riding it after the work was done, the mechanic laid my bike over in the parking lot. While they said it just scratched the front lever (and then replaced it), I knew right away the front brake was messed up. It was super touchy and actually had the front brake locked up a little even with no hand on the lever. I mentioned this to them and they took it back in, screwed around with stuff, and said it was fine. it still was way too touchy, super stiff and just wasn't right. By the time I turned around, he had the door shut and was out of sight (closing time)...now the integrity of the shop is a whole other issue (much more detail as to what happened), but I took the bike back the next day.  You know that nice solid feel of brakes when they're bled properly? Mine had been like that. Then after he dumped the bike, they were super tight (on and off), so much to the point that I couldn't even get the lever back on after taking it off to look for myself. 

They made it right In the end (said they flushed fluid, was hudrolocked) which I call bs on, but when I got it back it was back to normal. However, yesterday it was in the 90s here and it seemed like things stiffened back up again.not to the point that it had been, but definitely stiffer than when I had picked it back up.I checked it today and it seemed a little 'softer' and back to normal again with temps today back into the 70s. I never really thought of t before but would super hot days make that fluid expand and 'stiffen' the lever action up, or should I be taking it back saying it's still not right?

i want it like new, like it was when I took it in.  Wondering if I'm being too finicky or if this change in action (slight, not super drastic) is normal.

rob

Some dumbass "mechanic" laid your bike down in the fricking parking lot? Why the hell was he doing wheelies on a customer's bike. Demand a brand new master cylinder if you feel it isn't right.

He did. He blamed it on me because I shine the tires (no no on road bikes, not on knobbies though, imo) but that's another story in and of itself!

6 minutes ago, Rob Reffner said:

He did. He blamed it on me because I shine the tires (no no on road bikes, not on knobbies though, imo) but that's another story in and of itself!

Don't use armor all or anything like it on your tires. Its a dust magnet.

I use purple power, it seems to be okay without pulling in too much dust, and when it does, it's pretty easy to clean off.  They are harder to clean after riding, but that's a sacrifice I make to have it looking good in my garage.  Is the mechanic right that it makes tires slick? Sure. Maybe. I don't ride it on pavement. Two seconds in the dirt and it's off the knobs. I told him....don't test ride dirt bikes in the parking lot. And don't test ride street bikes in the dirt. 

I have never had a shop blame their mistake on me. To top it off, there is no way for me to know in what manner he was riding it, so tire shine may or may not have contributed.  And it didn't just appear on there. It was on there from the day I dropped it off.

ypu do make a good point though. Shining your tires certainly causes a bit more when it comes to getting that dirt back off.

Edited by Rob Reffner

I worked in bike shops for years. The only bikes I ever saw dropped while ridden by a tech were when they were doing something stupid like a wheelie. I dropped a customers bike once in the dirt, but he asked me to push it, he wanted to see it in action. I ended up replacing the clutch lever. And this ride was with the shop owner's permission.

Glad I'm not alone on this. If I told the whole story it would be way more ridiculous, but then I'll get all wound up again.

I know the shop was in the wrong, and for paying 8k just two months ago, it should be how it was when I dropped it off. It's one of those things where it's probably fine as it is, but it's in my craw that it might not be completely the way it was.

Either the lever is adjusted so the master cylinder is depressed and not letting fluid back flow, or there has been a bubble of air in your line when you got the bike and tipping it over burped it so now it is working properly, the shop may have intentionally gotten a little air in your line to appease you, and now that has also cleared itself in the warm weather.

5 minutes ago, Wild Alaskan said:

Either the lever is adjusted so the master cylinder is depressed and not letting fluid back flow, or there has been a bubble of air in your line when you got the bike and tipping it over burped it so now it is working properly, the shop may have intentionally gotten a little air in your line to appease you, and now that has also cleared itself in the warm weather.

Now that it's cooled off, it's back to 'normal' again. What you're saying is possible though. I can't help but imagine the pounding that master cylinder took if he landed the brake lever on pavement.

Edited by Rob Reffner

There has to be free play in the lever.  If the lever is adjusted so that there is no free play, when the fluid heats up from riding or ambient temperature changes you have brakes that drag.  The free play spec, how to check it and how to adjust it should be covered in the service manual and may be covered in the owner's manual (it is for KTMs).  

I've seen this a number of times where people don't like the slop in their brake lever so they adjust it out and on the next ride they end up with a brake that is dragging.

Doc

• Like 1

The Master Cylinder piston is fully extruded.  It is out as far as it will go.  The brake lever adjustment screw is not keeping it from returning more.  It is functional, I'll just live with it, I was just a little curious, never encountered such an issue.

The fact that they replaced my master cylinder and then lied and said they only flushed the fluid makes me think the guy really f***ed up my master cylinder.  I had placed a small punch mark on the bottom of it so I would know if they lied, and they did.  I don't like lying shops, that's for sure!  tell me what you did, and how you fixed it.  I know if I knocked over a brand new crf on the showroom floor, and the brake was like that, they would have been all over me like flies on a rib roast.  Steve Seltzer Powersports in Altoona, pa. 

Been riding for 21 years and this is a first, that's for sure.  Guess you never stop learning!  Oh well, all is well that ends well I suppose!