90% Bike - Epic Tire Battle Royale Thread

Having purchased the almighty KTM 300 XCW, I quickly began to realize how full of shit so many around here are and how it's really all about the bike.  The 300 was good for at least a 60% improvement, the tubliss added another 15%, I figure if I get the right tires, and maybe pick up another trick or two from you guys, the bike should virtually ride itself!  Right :excuseme: Really loved the old Bridgestone M403 . . . the X3 seems to work well, I'll go with that if there isn't a consensus . . . Keep hearing about GoldenTyre, etc.  Not really sold on any of the rears I've tried.

So what are the cool kids running for nothing but technical single track???

P.S. - Don't believe the hype Frankie . . . I think your wife may be paying these guys off to tell you it's not about the bike to keep you from blowing the bank on a new 300!!!

• Like 3

I just tried tried the new kenda washugal II. On the front of my 300. It kicked azz. I got the biggest one they make. I've heard reall good things about the kenda Millville front also.

The fatty front is really good too, but I think the kenda is fatty'er
IMG_3840.JPGIMG_3844.JPG

Myself, id run either and be happy.

Back tire is a no brainer for me. IRC m5b.

For you the back tire thing is different, some of the guys you might be riding with are a bit sensitive on knobby tires. Kenda triple might fit your application to a tee.

Thats weird Rick...  I ran the Washougal Sticky and then the Washougal II 90/100-21 for some time... def seems smaller to me than the Fatty...  but your pic def looks otherwise.  Maybe cause the Fatty is worn out and the Kenda is new ?  Fatty even had an issue rubbing fork guards on some bikes until GEN5.  Never heard a Kenda do that.

I know some of the Kenda tires are actually smaller than their competition.  When Nuetech measured up all the brands for their new mousse Kenda Wash II 90/100-21 actually has to be fitted with a 80/100-21 mousse. A few of the Kenda tires run undersized.

Joe for your environment I think the re-introduced GT333 Goldentyre rear would be ideal.  I think it will be like grabbing another level of traction like your Tubliss.  If you don't want the Fat 120/100-18 that just came out... there will be a 110/100-18 by end of summer.

The Kendas will cost less. Kenda usually does.  All I ran when I wanted a 90/100-21 front and shopping hard for price was the Washougal.  It sticks good...  I ran them bald and bleeding.  The GT Fatty works as well or better and lasts longer... but costs a few bucks more.

X30 is a decent tire....  just nothing spectacular about it.  Kinda stiff...  but with Tubliss and low psi it might do very well for you. 

IMHO

• Like 1

Having purchased the almighty KTM 300 XCW, I quickly began to realize how full of shit so many around here are and how it's really all about the bike.  The 300 was good for at least a 60% improvement, the tubliss added another 15%, I figure if I get the right tires, and maybe pick up another trick or two from you guys, the bike should virtually ride itself!  Right :excuseme: Really loved the old Bridgestone M403 . . . the X3 seems to work well, I'll go with that if there isn't a consensus . . . Keep hearing about GoldenTyre, etc.  Not really sold on any of the rears I've tried.
So what are the cool kids running for nothing but technical single track???

P.S. - Don't believe the hype Frankie . . . I think your wife may be paying these guys off to tell you it's not about the bike to keep you from blowing the bank on a new 300!!!

you're still on stock tires 9 months later?!?!?!?!
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, schmo said:

Having purchased the almighty KTM 300 XCW, I quickly began to realize how full of shit so many around here are and how it's really all about the bike.  The 300 was good for at least a 60% improvement, the tubliss added another 15%, I figure if I get the right tires, and maybe pick up another trick or two from you guys, the bike should virtually ride itself!  

Map switch is the missing 35%, get the good switch too, less resistance= more power

Bolt/Anvil - Thanks fellas . . . I like what I've been hearing about the GT.  I like running the fatter 90 front tire . . . but not sure about going fatter in the back . . . what are the pros/cons???  Do most people seem to be preferring the GT over the Kenda up front?  I've been thinking about going with the mb5 based on the reports from the donkey people, but while there are some steep loose hills up here, it's a lot of technical stuff . . . rocks, roots, logs, etc . . . wasn't sure if the mb5 is more of a hillclimb or all around tire.

Razr - wow, time flies . . . thanks for caring enough to keep track.  Thinking if I sell off my other bikes maybe then I can burn thru enough rubber on my 300 to make you proud.  :p

Kenny - LOL . . . I'm planning to put some kind of trials tire on my "trail maintenance" 250.  Mostly to avoid another talk! :naughty:  The lack of traction on steep loose down hills and snow has kept me away from them.  Probably won't go that route on the 300 as I want it to be set up to give me every advantage possible in tougher sections.

Riddler - got a link for the switch?  what do you find to be the benefits of the different maps.

says the guy that turns a year older today and has been nursing f'd up knees for weeks

I liked the original M5B, it got the job done very well. The new M5B EVO I have heard more complaints about it's longevity than anything else. It is difficult to find the original now. More often than not if you find one online and contact the seller, it too turns out to be the EVO. I just mounted the GT333 but haven't had a chance to test it out yet due to the J.O.B. and it being hotter than the surface of the sun in these parts lately. Maybe I can get a early morning jaunt in this weekend for an initial impression. 

Up front I've been running the Bridgestone Battlecross X30 with a heavy duty tube. Been a good tire, no real complaints but I'll be going to the Goldentyre fatty up front next with tubliss. Everyone I know that runs the GT fatty loves the tire so I gotta at least try it.

I think I'll give the GT Fatty a try up front.  Should I go with the GT on the rear too or give the MB5 a shot?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, schmo said:

I think I'll give the GT Fatty a try up front.  Should I go with the GT on the rear too or give the MB5 a shot?

IF you can find an original M5B, that would be good. 

GT333 here.... 

0617171538.jpg.6c66386057dacdc2cf24ffc64751f780.jpg

• Like 1

Shinko 505 Cheater rear and Golden front has been an amazing combo for the technical goat trails I ride. Totally agree with Jeff's coments in the below vide about how well the soft rubber lasts.. I will never buy another generic knobby like a MX-51. 

Edited by DrKayak

I have been running the M5B rear tire for 10 years in the California sierras OHV trails, single track , woods over rocks and roots and rut, and Nevada sand and rock, it works for me everywhere great.

So GT fatty up front and either M5B (original), new GT, or Shrinko cheater . . . all sound like good options.  Seems like the M5B has a loyal following, I've heard a lot of people talk about the Shrinko cheater too . . . for some reason I thought it was a cheapo tire, the GT seems like the hot new item . . . could go either way.  I didn't care for the reports I heard about the other MotoZ hybrid that they came out with a while back, don't really see many guys running them either.  Will be running tubliss . . . more interested in performance than longevity . . . any other input before Bolt gets a PM?

I cannot say a bad thing about the M5B from a performance stand point.  But the new M5B EVO is a faster wearing tire.  And those big fat paddle like knobs are not as trail friendly as the GT.  But whatever you decide you'll enjoy great traction.  You are dialed in... there are no bad choices on your finalists list.

Are you able to get the "original" the guys are talking about?

Not anymore. 

Maybe one of the hoarders will give one up for you..  between Mitch, 909 & Anvil there is a warehouse of M5Bs out there right now.  :lol:

Edited by Jeff aka Bolt
  • Like 1