Trade my wr250r for wr250f or mod r?

So I love my yamaha wr250r but its definetely lacking in power in places and just a heavy bike. I would like to start doing a little more enduro style riding with a once or twice a year desert 100 race here in WA. Im just having a tough time deciding if I should just spend the $1,000+ on building my bike hoping to get it to my style or if I should just sell it and buy wr250f (dont have the funds to buy a 2nd bike). Thing is I almost always just ride to my offroad locations so something I can dual sport easily or already dual sported would be very nice. 

Tough call.. If you are putting thousands of street miles on your WR250R and expect to do that on a WR250F you're going to be disappointed.  Downloaf the manual for a WR250F and look how often you have to change oil, check valves and replace pistons.

If you are primarily riding your WR250R on dirt then it might make sense.

I have a KTM 350 XCF-W that is plated but I'm looking for a WR250R, DRZ400S or CRF250L for tooling around on the back roads and local pavement.  I plated the KTM so that I'm legal connecting trails, riding to a gas station, etc.  But I just can't justify riding it on pavement or back roads when it has 15 hour oil change intervals and 45 hour piston replacement intervals.

I don't know the WR250F's service schedule but it's likely that piston replacements will be nearly as often as oil changes on your WR250R.  

Doc