Jump to content

Does the never ending maintaince get you down?

Recommended Posts

Today I headed off for a ride, but had to turn around because my engine was cutting out.  On the way home I some how cut my front tire right along the bead!?  My rear tire has a slow leak, but that's OK, because I need a new one every month anyway.

Last week my horn stopped working, my kickstand fell off and my bash guard clamp stripped out when doing an oil change.  When fixing my horn wiring, I noticed my tail light wires were broken and my radiator shroud bolt was missing.  After putting the gas tank back on, it no longer sits tight, so I need new mounting hardware, or maybe a new tank?

Two weeks ago, a sub-frame bolt disappeared and so did one of my hard guard bolts.

Three weeks ago, I get my engine back from my engine builder (full rebuild plus big bore kit and porting).  First ride it starts leaking oil.  It's still leaking oil (engine builder has been pretty slack about getting back to me, but says it's OK to ride).

My engine temp sensor wire broke and I ordered the wrong part to fix it.  With some parts of my bike I've given up and just use zip ties and duct tape to hold it together.

Pretty sure my rear wheel bearing is toast and my brakes and clutch need bleeding.

Tonight, I re-packed my silencer and burned off the carbon build up.

In less than a month, I'm going to have to get my suspension serviced and my steering damper could use some fresh oil.

Five weeks ago, my daughter told me she wished I could get a new bike.  So sweet, I thought!  But then she tells me her wish was because I spend all my time fixing my bike and not paying with her.

In February I bought a brand new pro RMK 800 snowmobile.  I bought it new so I wouldn't have to start fixing the ****ing thing for a year or so.  On my one and only ride, I hit a rock and bent the a-arm and tie rod... $300+ in parts.  Then I get a recall notice in the mail... now I have to replace the pitman arm.

So sick of all this *****.  Every year it's like this.  I just want to ride my bike!

And yes, I do check over my bike after every ride and do a ton of preventive maintenance.  Never once have I not made it back home on time and I usually don't carry any tools.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually like working on dirt bikes.

Some people garden, some people wrench.

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, I enjoy riding a reliable, well running machine that rips...that I worked on and tuned up...greatest feeling of accomplishment...

My newest bike is 10 yrs old...

If you don't put in the work...you don't get the pleasure...you go through life trying to 'buy' pleasure...doesn't work...

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

do you have an older bike? I used to feel this way about my 1999 wr 400. it was great but cuz it was old little things kept breaking resulting in frustration. motor was solid but the rest of the bike was falling apart.  I'm a budget rider, I usually find deals on CL for around 2k in the middle of the winter, ride them for  a year then when shit starts breaking sell the bike at the end of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think your daugthers right buy a new bike if you can afford it! minimal maintence for at least 2 years if you take care of it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sofiedog said:

Nope, I enjoy riding a reliable, well running machine that rips...that I worked on and tuned up...greatest feeling of accomplishment...

My newest bike is 10 yrs old...

If you don't put in the work...you don't get the pleasure...you go through life trying to 'buy' pleasure...doesn't work...

I get that and to an extent I agree.  I just hate when 'unplanned' maintenance gets in the way of riding. 50% less maintenance would be nice.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like working on motorcycles, but with my wife and 3 daughters all riding, I do get pretty tired of oil changes, chain lubing, and cleaning air filters. I'm OCD about maintenance, so every time all of us go for a ride it's literally hours in the garage just to do those things. But like mentioned above it's like what some people are like with gardening. I just chill out on my own in the garage (away from the 4 females) and tinker away with some gangster rap banging away on the stereo. And not that new crap that isn't gangster rap (Drake F'n sucks). I mean the real OG gangster rap from over 20 years ago.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, elrontx said:

do you have an older bike? I used to feel this way about my 1999 wr 400. it was great but cuz it was old little things kept breaking resulting in frustration. motor was solid but the rest of the bike was falling apart.  I'm a budget rider, I usually find deals on CL for around 2k in the middle of the winter, ride them for  a year then when shit starts breaking sell the bike at the end of the season.

My bike is getting old.  06' KTM 300 xc-w bought in 12' with 20 hours on it for $3800!

Now it has 600 hours on it. 

 

I've probably spent close to $5,000 on mods which IMHO are all pretty much necessary to make the bike work for my location.

If I could buy something off the shelf that would work as good as what I have, I would.  But even with a brand new 300, I'm going to have to spend a pretty penny to make it work at well as my 06'.  Not to mention all the hassle and work that goes into getting it plated.

If KTM brings the tpi 300 to the states next year, I will hopefully get to by one.  I'd love to keep my 06' as is, for a backup bike.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

I ride an XR250R.  It doesn't require maintenance. :p

Lend it to me, I'm sure I can change that lol.

Colorado with the high altitude, rocks, mud, stream crossings etc just seems to be hard on bikes.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Colorado^ said:

Lend it to me, I'm sure I can change that lol.

Colorado with the high altitude, rocks, mud, stream crossings etc just seems to be hard on bikes.

 

 

I'm right at the state line, my riding is 6k+ high desert or the San Juan mountains.  The tire issue I took care of with the Kenda Parker DTs, they're indestructible.  The one thing I have noticed is that my air cooled XR doesn't mind the slow gnarly stuff nearly as much as the liquid cooled bikes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Goatse said:

I like working on motorcycles, but with my wife and 3 daughters all riding, I do get pretty tired of oil changes, chain lubing, and cleaning air filters. I'm OCD about maintenance, so every time all of us go for a ride it's literally hours in the garage just to do those things. But like mentioned above it's like what some people are like with gardening. I just chill out on my own in the garage (away from the 4 females) and tinker away with some gangster rap banging away on the stereo. And not that new crap that isn't gangster rap (Drake F'n sucks). I mean the real OG gangster rap from over 20 years ago.

+1 for good tunes in the garage.  Last winter I got my garage heated and put in a killer sound system.

I've also got some harbor freight tool chests to get everything organized.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

I'm right at the state line, my riding is 6k+ high desert or the San Juan mountains.  The tire issue I took care of with the Kenda Parker DTs, they're indestructible.  The one thing I have noticed is that my air cooled XR doesn't mind the slow gnarly stuff nearly as much as the liquid cooled bikes.

That's a pretty sweet corner of the world!

I live at 10Kft and mostly ride from my house at 9-13Kft.  Not much slow stuff, just blasting up rocky as hell jeep trails.  Average speed is 24mph with about 8kft of climbing/descending over 70 miles.

I'm going to mount up those Kenda Parker's tomorrow.  You're always going on about them, so I though I'd give em' a try. :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Colorado^ said:

That's a pretty sweet corner of the world!

I live at 10Kft and mostly ride from my house at 9-13Kft.  Not much slow stuff, just blasting up rocky as hell jeep trails.  Average speed is 24mph with about 8kft of climbing/descending over 70 miles.

I'm going to mount up those Kenda Parker's tomorrow.  You're always going on about them, so I though I'd give em' a try. :)

Have fun mounting them, I let a local indy shop do it.  I run them at 11 psi both ends if you want a starting point.  HD tubes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Have fun mounting them, I let a local indy shop do it.  I run them at 11 psi both ends if you want a starting point.  HD tubes.

I'll get a shop to do it.  I converted to tubeless last year, so hoping to run the usual 4-5 psi.  Really hooks up in the loose rock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Colorado^ said:

I'll get a shop to do it.  I converted to tubeless last year, so hoping to run the usual 4-5 psi.  Really hooks up in the loose rock.

I'd really be interested in how they do with tubliss.  I don't know anyone that runs them that way.  Let me know.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ride an XR 400 so pretty much change oil twice a year, keep air filter clean, ride.

Sorry to hear about your run of bad luck though. It pretty much sucks when it all happens in a "perfect storm".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last trail/track breakdown I had was back in the early 1980's. Bike quality and those items that caused trouble have all been resolved. You have a all out race machine (assuming you ride a MX or serious woods machine). You are driving a Formula One car, not a Hyundai. To own one requires you to stay on top of the servicing. It is near equal parts ride time to service time. It is part of the price you pay for the performance. The thing is, I'd bet half the guys do not need to performance and are not willing to do the service. So they are not pleased with riding the effort it takes. Often what occurs, is the bike gets neglected and when they finally take it to get fixed up, the cost gives them a heart attack.

I have had one street bike issue, back in 1987, my 750 Ninja kept blowing out the header/collector to muffler slip joint gasket. Same bike a year later, the screw holding the gear selector pin assembly to the shifter drum came loose.  I attributed the gasket issue to poor tolerances (one out of a million and fixed by replacing the entire exhaust) and the shifter, a lack of locktite and possibly a assembly line mechanic being inattentive. To prevent these sorts of issues on my race bikes and woods machines, I go over them top to bottom on day one. I'll spend a few days checking EVERYTHING. Then over time, I re-do EVERYTHING. I never wait for a problem to arise.

 

But to those that are sick of the upkeep, perhaps a less highly strung machine is a better choice. My bikes are more powerful right out of the box for me these days and to be honest, the last bike I bought (a 2008 WR250F) was not a good choice, I should of gotten a milder, less highly strung out woods bike. The next will be for sure.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will surely start a war, but part of your problem is that you ride a KTM

Japanese bikes require much less maintenance. I have always owned both and my experience is that I spend more time and money modifying Japanese bikes than KTM but much more time and money maintaining KTM. Overall more spent on the ktms but for arguably better performance.
Btw I ride and race mostly Colorado trails not track

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×