alarmed motorcycle disc locks?

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with any of these .. I was thinking this could be added protection on my bike when it's locked to my bike carrier.. I see cheapo ones for 20 bucks and some go up toward $200.. just thinking of adding something else for added security.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with any of these .. I was thinking this could be added protection on my bike when it's locked to my bike carrier.. I see cheapo ones for 20 bucks and some go up toward $200.. just thinking of adding something else for added security.

Cheapo ones work just fine. All they do is make a lot of noise hopefully preventing the theft. They won't actually stop 3 guys from pulling up, cutting your chains/cables, throwing the bike in the back of a van and leaving in less than 30 seconds, however.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Then how do you keep it on the bike carrier..

That guy was jerkin' you around.  Like how bicyclists can be seen carrying around their rear tire so no one steals it, you can't just take off a rear wheel and lug it around.  That MeCH-MaN, such a joker.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S

1 hour ago, basalt said:

Cheapo ones work just fine. All they do is make a lot of noise hopefully preventing the theft. They won't actually stop 3 guys from pulling up, cutting your chains/cables, throwing the bike in the back of a van and leaving in less than 30 seconds, however.

Well thanks.. sort of what I thought.. It will be more than 30 seconds.. They'll have to use a grinder..and there are multiple hardened big chains.. so maybe a couple minutes.. maybe the alarm will help.. 

5 minutes ago, Ben500RR-S said:

That guy was jerkin' you around.  Like how bicyclists can be seen carrying around their rear tire so no one steals it, you can't just take off a rear wheel and lug it around.  That MeCH-MaN, such a joker.  

Some do.. just not on a bike carrier.. and that works if one wants to go through the couple of minutes to put on and take off a wheel. My bike that was stolen was started and ridden away.. It would have to be jarvis to ride away on one wheel.

I've heard of others that take off their wheel or wheels on their bikes for security.. It's one choice.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Some get riden away.
Other ones leave in a truck.
Bikes can disappear easily.
Had a neighbor trying to sell a street bike, it disappeared while in the lot.
I was kinda joking, but not joking.
If your trying to defend against it leaving a spot under it's own power, then I was just suggesting disabling it.
Pull the CDI.
I had a 1979 BMW that I ran a relay to the coil B+. Then ran the switch inside the cab so I could cut power to the coil.
The security was in having to find the switch.

• Like 1

I considered all the locks, even the GPS kits that can track the bike/vehicle.  I realized that in the end, the bike is insured so if it gets taken, I pay the deductible, get money, get another bike.  

Then again, the bike is garaged at night and sits in a wide open lot all day long so the odds of theft for me are low.  

If I had no insurance, I'd either get it or go with one of MeCH_MaN's suggestions as those are pretty good.  I'd have locks on the locks if I didn't have insurance.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Hi there Duane, I sent you a PM in case there are thieves watching this thread. Those locks are not good security. It's really sad that a quick google search will help a thief steal just about anything.

• Like 1

In reality the only reliable theft deterrent is a small non detectable tracking device and firearm. When the bike is stolen the owner tracks down the thief and puts a bullet in their head. If they are squeamish about killing the bastard, then just cripple the fingers by bending each one back until you hear a snap then twist until the nerve is severed.

Edited by ballisticexchris

In reality the only reliable theft deterrent is a small non detectable tracking device and firearm. When the bike is stolen the owner tracks down the thief and puts a bullet in their head. If they are squeamish about killing the bastard, then just cripple the fingers by bending each one back until you hear a snap then twist until the nerve is severed.

... So much for rotor locks...

If for whatever reason I need to ride the bike to a store, I have a front disc lock. That'll at least slow someone down. If somebody wants your bike that bad, they'll get it. Insurance is $75 for a year on a plated dirt bike in Washington State... Let'em take it.

• Like 1

Well I ordered an alarm lock.. sort of an offshoot of the disc alarm lock. .. I might get an alarm disc lock later in addition.. so it will be a couple of alarms to deal with if someone wanting to steal.. I'll see how the first alarm lock works when I get it..just an added hurdle.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider