YAY more peewee Probs.

Hello guys. I recently picked up a 2000 something PW80. I put on a new top end(jug,rings,piston,plug, etc.) and a new carb as the old one was thrashed and had stripped bolts galore. My problem is i get a gnarly bog at about half throttle in all gears except first (mostly because first winds out before i reach half throttle) and it smokes like a mother ***. Also lots of oil build up in exhaust, nearly dripping. a few things about the bike. holes in airbox, exhaust washer and silencer removed, new top end, carb, removed the autolube system. i have to admit the carb was 12$ haha but it was nearly an exact replica of the stock one as i could see from the pics. im guessing its running hella rich from the plugs and piston already having black build up. my friend has an 1985 pw 80 and i used his carb on mine and it did nearly perfect except for the top end bog a little so i knw its carb related but im not sure what steps i should take from here. Thanks in advance for taking the time folks.

Does it have a premix oiler? I bought my son one years ago not realizing it had a oiler on it, dumped in my premix gas and man did it smoke and pump oil out! Cylinder was well lubricated thou lol

• Like 1

please anyone. im so frustrated. I tried switching the old slide and jets from my other carb and it wouldn't run at all without choke and would die if you tried to give it gas

I would rebuild the original carb with new jets and parts and pieces as needed from the new one. Pay extra attention to the float height setting.
Make sure the pipe is clear and put the silencer back on, leave the washer off.

1 minute ago, Kinger317 said:

I would rebuild the original carb with new jets and parts and pieces as needed from the new one. Pay extra attention to the float height setting.
Make sure the pipe is clear and put the silencer back on, leave the washer off.

i thought about doing the same thing except the idle screw had been broke off inside the old carb and i already tried to use an ez out and i got most of it clear but i think the new carb has a different idle screw length wise.but i will try it. how importat is the ide screw. can i just make a spacer so the slide doesnt shut all the way or something? thanks ill try that again tommarow morning

The idle screw is important. Will it screw all the way in and drop out? use a drill bit to bite into it or something to screw it in all the way in till it falls in. Then put a new one in.

i just got the old screw out. i had to chisel it out afteer trying the easy out it just fell apart. i put my new screrw in and put my old jets in my old carb because the new ones dont even have a number or any way of telling the size on them and i dont want to risk having the wrong jet size. old slide and needle in. went to kick it and it started with choke on it revd up pretty high then i took choke off it dies. if i try to give it gas it sputters out. im gonna get back to fiddling in the morning. 

12 hours ago, XRFeller said:

i just got the old screw out. i had to chisel it out afteer trying the easy out it just fell apart. i put my new screrw in and put my old jets in my old carb because the new ones dont even have a number or any way of telling the size on them and i dont want to risk having the wrong jet size. old slide and needle in. went to kick it and it started with choke on it revd up pretty high then i took choke off it dies. if i try to give it gas it sputters out. im gonna get back to fiddling in the morning. 

Any update after more fiddling?

1 minute ago, 506 yz125 said:

Any update after more fiddling?

yeah, i just messed with the idle a little morre and got it to idle at a normal rpm. i took it for a ride with the old carb and everything stock and it just dogs insanely when i give it gas. if it is in neutral it winds out fine but the instant there is any load it just bogs INSANELY absolutely zero power. i checked the reeds last night and they looked perfect, no signs of wear. ive never been this stumped on a carb issue before.

46 minutes ago, XRFeller said:

yeah, i just messed with the idle a little morre and got it to idle at a normal rpm. i took it for a ride with the old carb and everything stock and it just dogs insanely when i give it gas. if it is in neutral it winds out fine but the instant there is any load it just bogs INSANELY absolutely zero power. i checked the reeds last night and they looked perfect, no signs of wear. ive never been this stumped on a carb issue before.

Yea that's wild. Sounds like you picked up a turd.

13 minutes ago, Smoking 2's said:

Sounds like low compression, if it revs without a load but not with one.

He did a full top end though.

so you're using the cheapo chinese jets without markings on them?!  Get some OEM jets and start from there.  Agreed with rebuilding the oem carb too, I'd bet more than $12 that the cheap carb is your problem.

That doesn't have one of those funky three-way safety kill switches does it? How bout the choke, does that have a cable or just lever? Just for Hahaas check both of those systems

alright so I tried doing complete stock carb rebuild. and that was utter "Turd" no power anywhere. so as a ditch effort i put the china carb all back together with all the new pieces that it came with and took it for a test drive and it did much better. only at my last 3/4 throttle does the "utter turd" kick back in and bogs like shes running with a tank of 4 loco. If im not mistaken stock main jet is a 125. so ive got a 120 main jet coming in the mail rn. becasue i thought it was way too rich but it mighta been too lean. im gonna order a 130 just incase

8 minutes ago, XRFeller said:

alright so I tried doing complete stock carb rebuild. and that was utter "Turd" no power anywhere. so as a ditch effort i put the china carb all back together with all the new pieces that it came with and took it for a test drive and it did much better. only at my last 3/4 throttle does the "utter turd" kick back in and bogs like shes running with a tank of 4 loco. If im not mistaken stock main jet is a 125. so ive got a 120 main jet coming in the mail rn. becasue i thought it was way too rich but it mighta been too lean. im gonna order a 130 just incase

How did the spark plug look after you put the China carb back on? That'll tell you if its a rich bog or a lean bog.  

image.jpgLooks ok to me I can't really tell. Not too black not too white. I did only go around the block so 

Edited by XRFeller

16 minutes ago, XRFeller said:

image.jpgLooks ok to me I can't really tell. Not too black not too white. I did only go around the block so 

Yea. I'd be happy with that. That peewee you got sure seems like a bigger headache than I'd want in my life.

1 minute ago, 506 yz125 said:

Yea. I'd be happy with that. That peewee you got sure seems like a bigger headache than I'd want in my life.

haha seriously