Sign in to follow this  

Undecide to keep WR or not

I've been given the go-ahead to either upgrade my present '09' wr250f, or sell and upgrade to a more serious trail bike.

But now i'm thinking about just keeping what i have and spending some money on upgrades. I realize the bike has wear on the motor and it is a 2009 and wont last for ever, and any mods to increase horse power will probably shorten that time as well. Other than that, what are some suggestions from all you folks if i decide to keep and modify??

The bike is in good condition, and has not been ridin' hard, pampered really.

Edited by ucandoit2

5 hours ago, ucandoit2 said:

I've been given the go-ahead to either upgrade my present '09' wr250f, or sell and upgrade to a more serious trail bike.

But now i'm thinking about just keeping what i have and spending some money on upgrades. I realize the bike has wear on the motor and it is a 2009 and wont last for ever, and any mods to increase horse power will probably shorten that time as well. Other than that, what are some suggestions from all you folks if i decide to keep and modify??

The bike is in good condition, and has not been ridin' hard, pampered really.

if you can work on it you self, do the standard jetting, slipon, air filter mod, adjust valves, suspenstion upgades like springs and racetech valving, yz or hot cams exhaust mods., wr250 are very reliable and still very competitiive and  alot better then spending 10 grand on a KTM or Husky, and you know if you have good bike setup then its 100 percent rider and then another 100 percent conditioning, just my 2cents

• Like 1

There is no better trail bike than the wr.

I have an 07 and ride the crap out of it...and I mean torture. No repairs yet.

I did install a jd jetting kit, and an fmf powercore exhaust, and did the few basic free mods after I realized it needed more oomph from factory. Big difference! Woke it right up! 

I ride in BC with lots of hill climbs and technical trails...and I absolutely love my wr. This is what they're made for.

• Like 1

I have an 01 yz250f & in March I purchased an 08 WR250F. Finally have been putting some hours and miles on it last weekend and WOW... These are very forgiving, manageable trail bikes. I had an 89 WR250 before that was a 2-stroke and loved the gearing. The only thing I would do is get the suspension taken care of for your weight/style of riding. I will be dealing with this for now and then send it in to a suspension shop in the winter months.

Pull out 2 oz of fork oil each side, soften it up a little.

262 high compression piston/cylinder, slip on muffler (straight thru with spark arrestor)

new tires, chain, sprocket set, new brake pads, stainless braided brake lines

Guts racing tall soft seat foam, new seat cover

bar risers, stock bars, or Pro Taper

new pillow top grips

Grease all bearings/threads, lube all cables

Cycra Pro Bend bark busters

check you valve clearances/adjust as needed

JD Jet kit, jet for your altitude

Do this, and your friends will envy you after they ride yours.

Edited by ronbuell
  • Like 1

The wr250f is the best bang for the $$ its still competitive and you can put it up against any bike out ther. Learn how to do your own suspension like racetech its very easy. Stock engine with just some easy mods.and it can be the most reliable easy riding bike out ther.

I have an 07 WR250 that I rode for years and now my son rides it.

It has always been well maintained and has been the most reliable bike I have ever owned.

A 262 kit and a YZ pipe really wake it up.

A new bike is 10 K.

i'm beginning to lean towards keeping it. Thanks for the input folks, and my wife thanks you too. haha

Edited by ucandoit2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ucandoit2 said:

i'm beginning to lean towards keeping it. Thanks for the input folks, and my wife thanks you too. haha

And when you look around for parts, check ALL sources.  Story..... I was searching Craigslist, found something interesting.  Turned out that a Harley shop took a WR in on trade.  (Yeah really, who would have thought)  Anyway, they tried to work on it, ended up parting it out.  So I got brakes, forks, shock, swingarm, and other critical pieces I could not do without.  You never know where you might get a good deal.

• Like 1

I have a nice 250FX and recently rode my friends well sorted 09 WR 290 big bore. I was surprised at how plush, easy to ride and capable that bike is. It's on the heavy side but other than that I had no complaints. I'd say if you like it, keep it. I wouldn't dump a ton of money into and older bike but I'd certainly add a few things here in there if they were proven worthy upgrades. 

In the past 2 years I went from a 2006 Honda 250X ---> 2012 KTM 300XC --> 2015 YZ250FX and wasn't any faster on any of them because of the bike alone. I've gotten faster because I've become a better ride, not because I upgraded bikes. 

• Like 2

Im still on an 06 wr... would i like a newer bike, of course I would... However with a few upgrades here and there I know it will do everything that I want... That and I dont have 10k for a new bike...

If you ride a lot of tight woods like I do ,  I'm not sure that an upgrade exists  . 

• Like 1