2006 crf250r starting problem's

Hi i have a question on my 2006 crf250r. When i ride it it will run good but then when i turn it of it wont want to start again but if i let it set for 30 min it will start first or second kick.  What might be the problem? 

Do you shut the petcock off when you shut off the bike? Do you use the hot start to start the bike when it is hot?

Does it always need the choke on cold starts? What is the current jetting?

Is this a new problem or is has it always been like this? How long have you owned it?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, William1 said:

Do you shut the petcock off when you shut off the bike? Do you use the hot start to start the bike when it is hot?

Does it always need the choke on cold starts? What is the current jetting?

Is this a new problem or is has it always been like this? How long have you owned it?

No i do not shut off my pet cock when i shut off my bike.  Yes i use my hot start some times when the bike is hot.  Yes i use the choke on cold starts. I dont know the current jetting.  I dont know how long it has doen this.  Just got the bike

11 hours ago, Colton Baber said:

No i do not shut off my pet cock when i shut off my bike.  Yes i use my hot start some times when the bike is hot.  Yes i use the choke on cold starts. I dont know the current jetting.  I dont know how long it has doen this.  Just got the bike

Always shut the petcock. I shut the petcock off a few seconds (just a few, like five) before I turn off the engine.

If the bike when hot does not start immediately when hot, use the hot start for a few kicks. If it does not fire off, release it and try again with out it.

When the bike is real hot and you shut it off, fuel in the carb expands and flows into the engine, effectively flooding it. If the carb float needle seat does not seal 100%, leaving the petcock on can make this even worse.

It might be a good idea to have a pro (a real pro, not just some guy) check the float height and float needle seat). Used bikes are always questionable.

Not the valves. Valves only manifest starting issues with a cold engine (closed up clearances) and those clearances open up as the engine heats up.

• Like 2