loctite 603 or 609 right crank seal

Shawm-Mac I was reading up on the products, I know you said 609,  Here is what Loctite says about 609 and 603, any words of wisdom.  I like that 603 has high oil tolerance.  Has anyone used 609 and still had a seal spin?  I know it is going to stick to the aluminum but which one will stick to the rubber seal better?

LOCTITE 603

Retaining Compound - high strength. Ideal for bearings. For use on close-fitting cylindrical parts. High oil tolerance.

LOCTITE® 603 is a high-strength retaining compound. Designed for the bonding of cylindrical fitting parts, especially for sintered bearings and also where consistently clean surfaces cannot be assured. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close-fitting metal surfaces and prevents loosening and leakage due to shock and vibration. It has a high oil tolerance.

Your benefits

High-strength retaining compound

Especially suitable for sintered bearings

High oil tolerance

LOCTITE 609 Retaining Compound

*some package sizes excluded

LOCTITE® 609 Retaining Compound General Purpose is a low viscosity, rapid-curing anaerobic adhesive that augments the strength of press fit assemblies or slip fit assemblies up to 0.006" in diameter. Adds up to 3,000 psi holding power. Recommended for parts that will need subsequent dismantling, i.e., retention of bearings onto shafts and into housings. Mil Spec (R-46082B) Type I.

Edited by ramjetV8

Here is what Loctite says about using 609.  which I most likely will do because of the advice here.  However since I have time waiting for parts I was just snooping around.  I also have access to 640.  Anyway here is loctites response when ask about 603 vs 609.  Looks like if I never want the seal out LOL...  Anyone care to comment????  It looks like superglue and superglue primer.  Has anyone who used 609 ever had another seal suck in????

Frank, is the rubber itself being bonded on the aluminum? if is yes I would not recommend you use a retaining compound, 609, on a rubber application. Retaining compound are for metal to metal cylindrical part. For a rubber and aluminum application, you can try our cyanoacrylate 401 with primer 770.

Frank, 401 with primer 770 will be removable with either heat or solvent 768. Prior to using the solvent, I would test on a scrap piece to make sure that it will not attack you rubber. Retaining compound are for metal to metal parts, it may work on rubber, however,  it will not be long for the bond to weaken.

Edited by ramjetV8

I know he is, and barring any other proof I will be using 609.  However I also think I read someplace where a 609 fix failed and they ended up using a center punch to make 4-5 small divot punches in beyond where the seal set so the seal could not slid in past them and then use 609 to stop it from happening again.  Or maybe I just dreamed it.  Loctite said basically superglue and use a primer first will adhere to the rubber and the aluminum and need solvent to get it off later.  See other post asking if anyone has had a 609 rpr fail again.

the quotes to use 401 & 770 are from a Loctite engineer for whatever that's worth.  AT least that was in their title LOL...

Edited by ramjetV8

new seal came there is no room to punch any divots behind it.  still wondering if anyone has had the 609 method fail?  My 609 wont be here until tomorrow.