88 RM250 Rear Brake Piston

My intention was to rebuild the rear caliper on my restoration project but damned if I couldn't get the darn piston out of the caliper today. No matter what I tried (yes, I blew air through to pop the piston out) but nothing worked! It was like it was galled inside the caliper! Since I had an extra caliper, I decided to just destroy this one to see how the hell the piston was in there. It seems the piston is a graphite material surrounded by a metal casing. I ended up using a drill press and large drill bit and just drilled the sucker out! I found no valuable info from doing this so decided to just install the caliper I have left, bleed it, and go from there!

Does anyone here know if, or how, to get these pistons out to do a rebuild? Yes, I did remove the cover as well as the seal but the piston did not budge.

yeah i had trouble with my 450sx - perseverance paid off

i blocked up all passage ways except for the one i was blowing air down - it moved a bit - then poured brake fluid on and around the piston - pushed it back in - blew it out a bit more - pushed it back in until finally it loosened up and shot half way across the shed floor  :smashpc:

Thanks SOANZ! I also found a video on Youtube of a guy using his handheld grease gun (and a zerk on the caliper) and loading the caliper up with grease and pushing the piston right on out! It looked like it worked really well! I bet the cleanup of all that grease was a chore though! :-)

• Like 1