Determining chain for new sprocket(s)?

Hi all.

I do apologize if this has been addressed, but I've been reading forums long and hard and have not seem to have gotten the answer I'm looking for.

I have a 97' xr600r with 14/46 gearing. I purchased this bike used and I'm loving it. Fun on the streets and the trails. However, I'm not getting enough for highway use. It vibrates far too much by the time I'm high 40s+. 5th gear is like sitting on a dryer. :/  nearly impossible to stand. I've decided to purchase a 15t front sprocket. And on to my question...

Will I need to alter my chain at all? Does the actual size of my chain need to change? Or can I keep the same size chain but play with the chains looseness? 

Thanks in advance! 

P.S. If you need more info or pics I'm happy to snap some. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoaConstrictor said:

Will I need to alter my chain at all? Does the actual size of my chain need to change? Or can I keep the same size chain but play with the chains looseness? 

No.  No.  Yes.

Changing to a 15 up front will only require shifting the axle forward 1/8" or so.

Go here to use their length calculator if you want to see how sprocket changes affect length and ratio.  Your chain is a 5/8" or .625" pitch.  It should have 110 links or so.  The center to center distance grows as your rear suspension is compressed so you'll want the max center to center distance; it should be about 24 3/4" or so IIRC.  There are other calculators and ratio tables on their site that will give you all the information you'll ever need to help with your decision.

Edited by Hollerhead
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Strange.  Do you have the XR's Unlimited cover or another?  
I ran my XR's Unlimited with a 15t and it was fine.  Of course the stock cover works as it is...well...stock with a 15t.

You know I don't even know. I bought the bike used. If I were to guess it does look stock. I'm not familiar with Xr only one except the 14t and 15t they have.

I'm thinking I will just try and maneuver it on somehow and see if it still fits - it might fit, I just have trouble getting it on there.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I received my xrs only 15 T case saver, but unfortunately the engine mount bolt where it connects is on the opposite way and I don't even have the right socket for it. Looks like it isn't the original and it is smaller than a 17mm but too big for a 16mm.

So I said I'd just save that for another day and I just ground down the original case saver with a grinder drill bit and it appears to be working fine now.

The gears feel much taller, and barely seems to buzz even at 65.. much happier with the results...

However, it seems to buzz more in the lower gears.

Is this normal?

I guess I can't complain if that's the trade off, as long as I'm not doing any harm to my bike.