Over 100 hours, time for a precautionary tear down?

2015 WR 450. owned since new.

Recently ticked over 100 hours and im thinking it might be time to pull down the top end and just give everything a check over. Valves are still in spec and not needed any adjustment since new. Everything else seems perfect, no smoke or weird rattles/knocks. but we all know its better to find a problem before it causes damage.

Absolutely, positively not needed, unless you ride mid-pack in the desert, sucking dust, and don't change your oil often, or suck at air filter maintenence.

I would go to 150 or 200 with the WR motor, as long as you have not started shimming regularly...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SatansReverence said:

but we all know its better to find a problem before it causes damage.

or - "if it aint broke dont fix it"

• Like 1

Just now, S.O.A.N.Z said:

or - "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Yeah, but you can't do that with a modern four stroke, because then it will be 'oh oh, it's broke, and it ain't worth fixin'

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Krannie McKranface said:

Absolutely, positively not needed, unless you ride mid-pack in the desert, sucking dust, and don't change your oil often, or suck at air filter maintenence.

I would go to 150 or 200 with the WR motor, as long as you have not started shimming regularly...

Cheers. Its now being dual sported too which should further increase its time yes?

8 hours ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Good thing i dont own a modern 4 stroke then  :thumbsup:

not helpful, like, at all.

• Like 1

I would only do checking. Confirm valve clearances (you should be doing this every 20 hours and logging the numbers so if a problem starts, you can resolve it before it is a major issue). At this point, I'd do a leak down test and based on those results, decide if getting into the engine is warranted. Regular leak down tests too, provide data as to what is wearing and give you an idea of the urgency. I would not 'just do' any rebuilding unless you know it needs it.

A preventative servicing would probably be a fresh cam chain and a new tensioner. A chain, tensioner, gasket-cheap. Only special tool (and you should already one one) is a flywheel puller. It is a 40 minute to three hour job, depending on how proficient you are.

Guys, if you cannot offer actual help, please refrain from posting. If you want to harass people, go to TS. It is not tolerated in the tech areas.

• Like 4

What's your owners manual say for maintenance intervals?

Might be worth a top-end anyways, clean everything up and know it's all good. 

My moto's coming up on 30k mi/1k hrs.  Never had a catastrophic failure, I could probably go longer on pistons but why chance it?  There's usually other stuff that needs attention anyways.

This sled was "running fine" before I tore it down.  Hello, cracked piston!

DSC08457-M.jpg

Tore my Pro down too, same deal no problems.  Found a cracked cylinder skirt.  Couple more days of riding and I bet that would have broken off.

DSC00074_-L.jpg

55 minutes ago, SnowMule said:

What's your owners manual say for maintenance intervals?

Might be worth a top-end anyways, clean everything up and know it's all good. 

My moto's coming up on 30k mi/1k hrs.  Never had a catastrophic failure, I could probably go longer on pistons but why chance it?  There's usually other stuff that needs attention anyways.

This sled was "running fine" before I tore it down.  Hello, cracked piston!

Tore my Pro down too, same deal no problems.  Found a cracked cylinder skirt.  Couple more days of riding and I bet that would have broken off.

Yeah, but those are flimsy 2S ;)

While I sort of agree with you regarding the service manuals rec. service intervals, they are aimed at the A class racer who runs motos and WOT every possible second. For the typical rider, those intervals can be stretched out 4 to 8 times longer. Which is why checking valve clearances and doing leak downs on a regular basis invaluable. Then items like cam chains wear purely based on hours and not severity of use. Ditto with things like suspension linkage, steering headset, changing brake fluids.

The WR motors are extremely reliable. As long as regular air filter and oil changes have been done there is no reason to think that it needs anything done internally for another few hundred hours.

My '12 has 322 hours on it. Valves haven't moved and tearing into it has never crossed my mind. I expect to get close to three times the hours before doing a top end. Same motor that was in my '06 that had ~1k hrs and I never even saw the piston. There are lighter and more powerful bikes out there, but nothing with similar performance that will touch these motors when it comes to durability!

• Like 3

The WR motors are extremely reliable. As long as regular air filter and oil changes have been done there is no reason to think that it needs anything done internally for another few hundred hours.

My '12 has 322 hours on it. Valves haven't moved and tearing into it has never crossed my mind. I expect to get close to three times the hours before doing a top end. Same motor that was in my '06 that had ~1k hrs and I never even saw the piston. There are lighter and more powerful bikes out there, but nothing with similar performance that will touch these motors when it comes to durability!

When you ride the bike regularly (2 times or more a week) , you hear it.
At 400 hours I changed piston. I heard it slapping. Those engine with every 10 hours new oil , they keep going