2017 exc 450 six days

Recently purchased a 2017 450 exc 6 days. I have been looking everywhere for advice on gaining more power and just general better running, fuel remap. Etc. I have found numerous resources on the 350 and 500. I've been told some things are similar and some not, stories that contradict each other. I am looking for definitive answers. My dealer can install the euro map or australian fuel map and that's as far as he can take me. Any help would be great. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cannedchowda said:

Recently purchased a 2017 450 exc 6 days. I have been looking everywhere for advice on gaining more power and just general better running, fuel remap. Etc. I have found numerous resources on the 350 and 500. I've been told some things are similar and some not, stories that contradict each other. I am looking for definitive answers. My dealer can install the euro map or australian fuel map and that's as far as he can take me. Any help would be great. 

Hi I can't reply on the forum for some reason. I bought the exact same bike and was mortified how shit it was! (I'm in Canada so California regs.)

Ktmandhusky.com have some great stuff

first off I put it back to the dealer got the exhaust restriction stuff removed (had to sign to say i was aware it no longer meets emissions... I'm ok with that). Got the unlimited Australian Map instead of the one in it )lots say the euro map and I haven't had it so can't compare but this one works great. I did this at the 20 hour mark after running in.

Then from KTM and husky website I ordered the big bottom kit (air box and exhaust manifold kit) both were easy to do and with those things the bike lit up. I adjusted the idle as it wasn't ticking over after the mods (fuel issue now exhaust pulls more) and it runs good however I have also orders the tps sensor (from another site for half the price) and this week I will be playing with that to make it run a bit richer and not lean when it's wide open.

These mods made it wheelie in 1st -4th easily and added a top end from 125ish to probably 155 if I wound it open but stopped at 150. I am also going to adjust the rear sprocket to a 48 tooth (don't have to change the chain) so I'll lose a little top end but have more zip off the mark and wheelie ability. Wanted the exhaust tip but they had sold out on ktmandhusky.com last time I checked but I'll get it based on how good these other mods have been.

My name is Gary Spencer-Smith and I'm on Facebook if you want to connect and share as I'm always wanting more. I used to race 250 two strokes a few years ago so thought 450 for sure, so when I took delivery I was disappointed but it's pretty close to being awesome now. Also changing my back tire to get more grip on the logging roads and on the dirt.

Hope this helps

Edited by gspencersmith
Spelling mistakes

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 6:40 PM, Cannedchowda said:

the 450 and 500 euro maps, still have lean issues with the mapping, but better than stock. once the euro map is on there, An experience tech, that has tested ust tool settings, and has altered mapping settings, can correct deficiencies in the euro map. But you have to get the euro map first, and in doing so, the ecu will now be unlocked. Blais racing is one who says they have experience altering the euro map to correct those deficiencies, and can tailor fuel and timing to your request and modifications.

However, thumper racing recently reported, ktm locked down the ability to use the ust tool on the 17's, so it might be a state by state thing, or total blanket.

But if you can get the base euro map, get it, cause it opens up other potential options, and at the very least you have a better map.

also reed valve in the intake has to go as does the end cap has to be opened , including general desmog.

• Like 1

I hadn't heard about them not programming, you can order the map switch for your bike (like the uk models) and that has three different settings (I believe there can be up to ten settings in the ecu) so I don't know why they are saying the can not do it. Or you can order a ecu and switch kit from ktmandhusky I think it's about 700 for the full kit. Although I would just keep trying dealers till you find one. What would happen if your ecu fried, they would have to reprogram it then..

my dealer did flash my ecu with euro map in spring and he told me that i am lucky because he can not flash them anymore . he can flash it yes but wen choosing euro map he need a special code that he can not get . not sure about otter dealer but here in canada it been like this from around 2 - 3 week . 

49 minutes ago, Cannedchowda said:

The problem is no dealer is able to put a new map on any ecu. At least in canada. I was debating just buying a whole new ecu for an xcf or xcw and putting it on. 

New ecu's are all blank and unlocked,  none come preprogramed, so any map can be installed.   The issue with using another models map, is it normally has different cams and throttle body , so the map wont be right.

But worse come to worse, get a new ecu and then they should be able to load the alternate exc map.

or get a jdtuner

Edited by Spud786