New to Thumper and new to the '08 KLX 450r. I purchased this bike a few months ago. It was showroom condition. Took it to a very reliable mechanic that I've known for years and he said that the bike probably had less than 10 hours on it. Speedo/tach/hour meter computer no longer worked. Previous owner said he bought it from a dealer new in crate 4 years ago (hard to believe I know) and that he was the only one that rode it. Dealer was saving for himself. Probably hiding it from the IRS or something. Previous owner said he was selling it because he never rode it, parts would be hard to come buy, value was dropping because it's not available in the US anymore and he didn't won't to deal with it. If it means anything, he was in his late 50's. I also took it to a local dealer mechanic and he said the same thing my mechanic said. Based on the condition of the bike and what everyone said about it, I couldn't resist and dropped $4,000 on it. Maybe a little to high for a bike that old, but based on the condition, good reviews and how easy it is to work on, I figured it would be a reliable bike that I could trail ride on for a few years. It's a little heavy, especially carrying my fat ass around. I'm 6 ft pushing close to 300 lbs and 47. What are the basic first mods that everyone does, what mods are recommended in conjunction with other mods to get the best performance out of. Seller included a Jd jet kit just never installed it. What brand of mods is the best to get. I realize that I could search here and there through the forums, but just would like a list on one posting. Sorry about that, but thanks for your input and advise in advance. 

• Like 2

The bike runs pretty lean from the factory so doing the re jet is a must,swapping out the exhaust not only saves you a bunch of weight but really wakes the bike up performance wise,get a stock 06-08 KX450F exhaust or any aftermarket exhaust listed to fit 06-08 KX450F this gives you a header pipe design that does not block the oil filter cover,most aftermarket KLX450R exhausts will still block the filter cover except for the FMF series of power/mega bomb exhausts,these exhausts are a direct bolt on fit,don't use the adjustable fuel screw that comes in the JD kit,buy the one from R&D Flex jet,this will not wind out on you where as the JD one can and does

Open up the air box by removing the snorkel and clear plastic flap,get your suspension resprung to suit your weight,you are too heavy for it,remove all electrical connections and pack them with dielectric grease,especially the grey stator plug found on the frame behind the LH radiator,this can fill with water and cause heaps of problems that will have you looking elsewhere before you look at plugs etc,unbolt your fuel tap from the frame fitting,in a crash the left hand radiator can get pushed backwards and the fuel tap will get punched through the rad core,just leave it to hang down and if this happens the fuel tap can move with the rad,hopefully you only end up with a bent rad rather than a punctured one and yes this happens even with rad guards

Re route the two carby breather hoses that route up and run them into the airbox or anywhere high,you can then go through deep water without the bike stalling,get yourself a flywheel puller and the workshop manual and clean the oil screen,it comes pretty blocked up with silicone dags from the factory,doesn't matter how brand new the bike is the silicone dags will be there and can block oil flow,take note of the oil filter and the way it is installed,getting this the wrong way around results in no oil flow and an empty wallet,workshop manual tells you how to do this,can appear to be difficult but not too hard

Plenty of aftermarket support for the KLX on Rocky Mountain ATV and also OEM stuff from thumper talk store etc so parts won't be hard to come by,the bike is still being made now just not for your market.if you need specific help on stuff you tackle just post it up here and we can give you pics and help on how to do it,as for more go fast mods the 06-08 KX450F airbox is a bolt on job and you have to use the KX side panels too which are vented,bigger airbox,also the KX head bolts on too giving you bigger valves all round and more agressive cams and better ports,other than that you won't need to do much more as you won't be able to make use of all the power depending on what type of riding you do,you can change the gearing to suit as well

First things first, welcome the ThumperTalk and congradulations on the best dirt bike you will ever know!

I can completely overwhelm you with the $3500 list of things I have done to mine, but you don't need all that to get started and have fun.

You got the jet kit, so open up the exhaust and do a rejet. I like 45 pilot and a 160 main, JD red needle clip on 4th slot down for 600ft elev. I like ozglenns idea of adding the R&D flex jet while you are doing carb work. I would also advise to lube the hot start plugger while you are there and put the fat o-ring on the accel pump timing tab.

Next for the most bang per mod, get fork springs and shock spring to match you size. Race Tech has a nice site for calculating your springs. I like race tech rear spring, but their front springs and the ibach springs I had trouble with. They would wear down the wall on the inner tank and get stuck in the fork tube base so you can't get them out when changing oil. I switched to the fork springs of the same weight from Progressive Suspension and they dont have those troubles. You will like the handling of this bike when it is sprung for your size.

So where are you and what kind of riding do you enjoy?

• Like 1

Full FMF Exhaust500

TM designs slide and Guide140

JD Jet kit80

Works Connection Bash Guard235

Fastway pegs140

Fastway handguards160

Highline Tugger Straps55

Tusk Oversized Rotor120

Oversize Radiators90

Boyben Waterpump180

Zeta Shorty Levers100

Works Connection R M/C Guard35

TM Designs R rotor Guard80

Twin Air Filter30

RnD Flex Jet35

Shori Bat and Charger225

Progressive Suspension Fork Springs110

Race Tech shock spring110

Gas tank heat shield30

TM Designs R Caliper Guard45

Kibble White SS Intake Valves 300

Green Galfer braided brake lines120

OEM 2014 Green Engine Plugs45

Green Oil Fill Cap20

Oil Filter magnet20

Magnetic Oil Drain Plug10

Engine Anti-mud Foam20

Radiator Guards115

2014 style front fender30

OEM 2014 front fender shoulder bolts30

EBC MXS pads70

Fork Work tools100

Shock Work tools200

Synthic Engine Oil20

KYB K2C shock oil32

High temp dot4 for rear MC25

• Like 2

^^^^Why did you have to go and do that...

Welcome. The KLX is a super reliable bike. Jet it, install the necessary goodies to protect the bike and ride the piss out of it. Weak points are the jetting sucks, the charging system sucks and it's heavy. However all can be massaged and replaced and then you have a bad ass woods bike.

Check the front wheel sensor for the computer, you have to pull the front wheel and there is a cool plastic piece which drives the sensor. If it's not installed properly it can break...ask me how I know this...

r

Edited by poconovfr
  • Like 2

First things first, welcome the ThumperTalk and congradulations on the best dirt bike you will ever know!
I can completely overwhelm you with the $3500 list of things I have done to mine, but you don't need all that to get started and have fun.
You got the jet kit, so open up the exhaust and do a rejet. I like 45 pilot and a 160 main, JD red needle clip on 4th slot down for 600ft elev. I like ozglenns idea of adding the R&D flex jet while you are doing carb work. I would also advise to lube the hot start plugger while you are there and put the fat o-ring on the accel pump timing tab.
Next for the most bang per mod, get fork springs and shock spring to match you size. Race Tech has a nice site for calculating your springs. I like race tech rear spring, but their front springs and the ibach springs I had trouble with. They would wear down the wall on the inner tank and get stuck in the fork tube base so you can't get them out when changing oil. I switched to the fork springs of the same weight from Progressive Suspension and they dont have those troubles. You will like the handling of this bike when it is sprung for your size.
So where are you and what kind of riding do you enjoy?

Thanks for your response. So far, I have installed the boyesen pump, new cycra colony hoses, snorkel mode, FMF exhaust with power bomb, and trailtech vapor with water temp. I also installed that emission blockoff kit from applied racing.
Next I have to do the carb resetting, which I’m reluctant to try on my own because I’m mechanically challenged. I have the JF kit, but what I here on Thumper, it does not include the main pilot jet for what is need. I’m at ride at 70 ft at sea level. I do intend on getting the flex fuel screw from what everyone suggest. I really do t know jack about carbs so I wish I could see some pictures somewhere on what to do.
After all that is done, my plans are to get suspense right for my weight.
I am an old timer and ride light trails with experienced kx 250 friends. I certainly can’t keep up, but still have a blast. My plans are to keep this bike for when my some graduates from his TTR 230. I used to hell on the tracks and trails when I was young, but age, back and weight issues have got in the way sense. For that, I peddle around on my V-strom 650.
I’m going to lower the subframe and remove the rear spring and take the carb out like other suggest. Being an ‘08 model, it probably needs a good cleaning anyway. Any post with pictures on re-jetting the carb would be greatly appreciated. Especially, the needle that need changing out.

Thanks.

Thanks for your response. So far, I have installed the boyesen pump, new cycra colony hoses, snorkel mode, FMF exhaust with power bomb, and trailtech vapor with water temp. I also installed that emission blockoff kit from applied racing.
Next I have to do the carb resetting, which I’m reluctant to try on my own because I’m mechanically challenged. I have the JF kit, but what I here on Thumper, it does not include the main pilot jet for what is need. I’m at ride at 70 ft at sea level. I do intend on getting the flex fuel screw from what everyone suggest. I really do t know jack about carbs so I wish I could see some pictures somewhere on what to do.
After all that is done, my plans are to get suspense right for my weight.
I am an old timer and ride light trails with experienced kx 250 friends. I certainly can’t keep up, but still have a blast. My plans are to keep this bike for when my some graduates from his TTR 230. I used to hell on the tracks and trails when I was young, but age, back and weight issues have got in the way sense. For that, I peddle around on my V-strom 650.
I’m going to lower the subframe and remove the rear spring and take the carb out like other suggest. Being an ‘08 model, it probably needs a good cleaning anyway. Any post with pictures on re-jetting the carb would be greatly appreciated. Especially, the needle that need changing out.

Thanks.

Oh, I live in eastern NC and usually ride to parks around here within 150 miles. Around here, tracks are usually tore up by 4x4’s, but I make do. Hatfield and McCoys is in the bucket list.

If you are buying an R&D flex jet fuel screw then you will be removing the carby to fit it,workshop manual tells you how to remove everything,some people think it's a pain to remove and refit carby but whilst a little fiddly it's not bad at all,once you have carby out then remove the bottom float bowl and you will have access to the main and pilot jets,remove the top slide and you have access to the fuel needleIMG_2090.thumb.JPG.9bb61e7e50e2691390bd1c71d114cf3a.JPGIMG_2114.JPG.f7e4c34959655e5cb4e109bcd9f0e856.JPGIMG_2295.thumb.JPG.13015a70a40bccc1040588cf04860751.JPG

• Like 1

You have an awesome all round bike.  Like all of them, takes some work to get it to fit and perform for u.  It is still one of my favorite bikes.  It is a formidable contender. I just installed a KX head and cams and made a good difference, bigger valves.  What everyone else said.  I did not waste money on the JD kit, bought needle and jets I needed for about $25.  Exhaust, suspension.  Virtuallly all 06-08 KX450F chassis parts will interchange.  LH engine gaskets different, clutch cable too.  Beware of the grey connector behind LH radiator.  Can collect water and cause fits.  Blow out and put a dab of dielectric grease.  Anyone that tells you that this is not an awesome bike is an idiot.   Good luck!  We are here to help, I want to come to Hatfield McCoy to ride this next year, figure out where to go👍

IMG_2582.JPG

IMG_5429.JPG

IMG_5430.JPG

• Like 2

On 12/12/2017 at 5:35 PM, payloan said:

I had mine shortened 2 inches on each end.  Im built like a midget.  :lol:

12998199_1379987052026813_26036251706250

How'd you plate it in cali?