Coming off a 230f to race, what bike should I buy?

Hello all, I am selling my 2011 crf230f to get into racing seriously(I tried racing the 230, not a fun bike to race lol) I am wondering what bike I should buy as a step up.

A little bit about my style,

140lbs with gear on 5'10

Intermediate level trail rider(5 years), Beginner racer (1 year)

I am looking at these 3 options:

CRF150RB(Although a little too small for my height)

A 125 2 stroke (I have no experience on 2 strokes other than a pw 80)

Ktm xcf-w 250/honda crf 250x(most interested in these)

250 4 Stroke race bike is out of the question, I owned a 2006 rmz-250 and had to sell it for it was too powerful and intimidating for my riding level.

I will also be riding a lot of trails too so I am looking for opinions on what bike might suit me the best, open to other bikes too!

Thanks!

What type of racing ?

If motocross, there is no ideal bike for both MX racing and trail riding, there will be compromises everywhere.

If off-road/enduro racing, perhaps a CRF250X, WR250F, YZ250FX etc. type bike could be of interest.

If you are budget & mechanically limited, maybe a 125 2-stroke is a better option.

Indeed at 5'10" you are too tall for a CRF150R/B or other 'big-wheeled' minis (KX100 etc.)

you're well past into 'full-sized' territory, bikes with 21" front / 18"-19" rear wheel sizes.

Edited by mlatour

I am not on a budget, I am looking to race on Riverglade MX and Strangs MX park in New Brunswick. but I also like to ride trails a lot too, Thats why I like the idea of the ktm xcf/xcf-w bikes. I am just concerned about a 2 stroke because I have never ridden one other than a pw 80. I'm a little bit nervous when It comes to new bikes lol

Not familiar with KTM but if I had to pick a single bike to be the most versatile (amateur MX racing & trail/off-roading), 

a Yamaha YZ250FX seems like one of the best choices for a 'do-it-all' bike.

Keep in mind any of the late model 250 4-strokes (even off-road versions) are no doubt more powerful than your previous 2006 RMZ250.

The 'tamest' is likely a CRF250X but due to it's weight, wide-ratio gearbox etc. it's really out of it's element on an MX track.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1