I just ordered a piston kit for my 1998 yz80, and it does not fit into my cylinder. I can't really remember if its a 47.5 mm or 47, i'm pretty sure it's a 47.5 but it just does not fit into my cylinder. My cylinder does have a big groove in it, so do I need a new cylinder for it to fit, or a new piston? Please respond ASAP!

Edited by cameron_yz80

I just ordered a piston kit for my 1998 yz80, and it does not fit into my cylinder. I can't really remember if its a 47.5 mm or 47, i'm pretty sure it's a 47.5 but it just does not fit into my cylinder. My cylinder does have a big groove in it, so do I need a new cylinder for it to fit, or a new piston? Please respond ASAP!

If your cylinder has a groove in it so that your fingernail can catch it it's time for a good hone. Your cylinder is plated so a deep scratch will need to be re plated. Or sleeved. Try fitting the piston through the bottom of the cylinder jug it should fit just right with minimal clearance if the piston doesn't drop right in with some free play in the piston is too big and you need to get your cylinder jug sized so you have by there right piston. A lot of times the original piston has a stamp on the top which tells you the size

12 hours ago, cameron_yz80 said:

Did you consider doing something like measuring the two?  Are you trying to fit it in with the rings on or off?   You may be trying to put a piston intended for an 85 cc (I want to say those started coming in 2002 in it.  

Its alright, I got the wrong piston, and since the groove was super big, I decided to just get a whole new piston/cylinder kit, and it fits. Thanks for all of your guys help!