Gearing opinion needed

So I have an 02 yz85 that I picked up for my wife for next to nothing. Bored to 110, reeds, pipe, etc. It's her first bike and not surprising, she barely rides it. Trying to make it more manageable for her and my son who is getting close to riding it. I've added a flywheel weight. Its got 14/47 gearing. I'm considering going to a 13/48 or a 14/50. Any thoughts? I'm hoping it'll help with stalling and tighter trails but I'm worried it might be too snappy, especially on the pipe. 

How old is your son and what are you using it for?  Bit of fun, enduro, mx?

Not ideal for plugs but you could always run the jetting a little rich. That will slow the little guy down.

Just out of curiosity why did you bore it out to 110?

And even though a larger rear sprocket will keep his top speed down a larger one will slow him down getting to said top speed.

An MX race bike is no doubt not the best choice as a trail bike for new riders.

Like your wife as done, it will quickly make them either love the thrill and challenge or,

find it's too intimidating at not want to ride.

Get a used CRF125F or TTR125, have them both learn on that at see if they want to progress to a faster bike,

for strickly trail riding, chances are they'll want to keep the mellow trail bike rather than the YZ.

If things don't work out, those bikes keep a very good resale value, likely fetching all the purchase price back at selling time.

Not matter all the mods, flywheel weight, gearing etc. the YZ will never 'mellow out' comparatively to a recreational trail bike.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, nath125 said:

How old is your son and what are you using it for?  Bit of fun, enduro, mx?

My son is 10 now. He's likes to ride mx tracks the most and is wanting to try racing but we still do a fair amount of trail riding. 

1 hour ago, 506 yz125 said:

Not ideal for plugs but you could always run the jetting a little rich. That will slow the little guy down.

Just out of curiosity why did you bore it out to 110?

And even though a larger rear sprocket will keep his top speed down a larger one will slow him down getting to said top speed.

I didn't bore it out. It was my brother in laws girlfriends bike and apparently she's a bad ass. I'm not too worried about them topping the bike out honestly. Very few chances for that most of the places we ride.

Edited by wadam

2 minutes ago, wadam said:

I didn't bore it out. It was my brother in laws girlfriends bike and apparently she's a bad ass. I'm not too worried about them topping the bike out honestly. Very few chances for that most of the places we ride.

Gotcha. I had a 46 rear sprocket on my yz125. Stock is 48. Made a pretty significant difference for me. The theory in my head was a mellower hit requiring me to carry more corner speed due to the lowered torque. I found myself planning out my turns better because if you bury it in the soft stuff it would just suck you down. I went to a 50t a few weeks ago and now it feels like a rocket ship out of corners.

I think the same idea could be applied to your little guys bike if your worried about it being to snappy. Smaller rear sprocket, smaller "hit".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mlatour said:

An MX race bike is no doubt not the best choice as a trail bike for new riders.

Like your wife as done, it will quickly make them either love the thrill and challenge or,

find it's too intimidating at not want to ride.

Get a used CRF125F or TTR125, have them both learn on that at see if they want to progress to a faster bike,

for strickly trail riding, chances are they'll want to keep the mellow trail bike rather than the YZ.

If things don't work out, those bikes keep a very good resale value, likely fetching all the purchase price back at selling time.

Not matter all the mods, flywheel weight, gearing etc. the YZ will never 'mellow out' comparatively to a recreational trail bike.

I definitely agree it wasn't the best choice but for $300 it was way too sweet to pass up, plus my son is getting close to riding it so I don't really want to sell it when he's starting to take an interest in racing. I'm just looking to make The bike a little more manageable for him while he learns to deal with the 2 stroke over his 4. The wife will very likely end up with a ttr125 but for the moment this bike is here. 

It's probably a 109 and if so probably not best to put your wife on it dam. Get her the ttr125 I have bigwheel one it's great for daughters, wifes,kids and beginners.  And great pit bike for guys like me :ride: