Rm250 or Yz250 today? (Parts, prices etc)

Hello. 

Decided I want a 250 2t again. Ive had a 250sx before and it was too wild and sold it. 

Now I want one again and decided older "less powerful" bike should be just as good as alot cheaper to maintain in the long run.

ive read older threads and reviews and it seems pretty close but since Ive ridden newish KTM/Husky I want the best handling and the Yamaha doesnt seem like the one as its always pointed out that it wants to stand up, climb and push the front end and there is no real fix, only bandaids with 22mm offset and steering damping - for that money I could just put it down for a KTM/Husky.

However, now its almost 10 years ago the RM250 went out of production and it worries me if I want to ride alot and keep it for a long time. 

With parts I mean crucial things lile gearboxes, suspensions and so on. Aftermarkets rules engines, brakes, clutches and Im sure it will be produced for a long time. 

Have you owned both? Maybe all three?

i dont want to beat the dead horse but if it will be alot harder to get parts I want to atleast consider it. 

I'm interested in this as well. Good part availability has always been a wonder of mine for the rm vs yam

You said it yourself.  They quit making the RM in 2008 and the YZ is still in production.  Clearly there are going to much more parts available for the YZ.  Especially since the YZ hasn't really changed in 10+ years.  

• Like 1

I just sold some engine parts off my 2013 YZ250 to a fellow who owned a 2004.  Pretty hard to argue with that parts availability.  As previously stated, there is over a decade of parts still available and still being made that support an older YZ. 

Sorry, must have expressed myself in a wrong way. I know that Yamaha will take this battle as its still being in production and more wondering if its very hard to get hands on specific parts to the RM.

I was in the same situation late last year. It was up between the RM250 and YZ250.

I ended up with a 2010 YZ250 due to parts availability, Yamaha build quality, excellent suspension and strong engine.

As far as cornering ability of the bike, my 15 year old son rails that bike on tight corners like there is no tomorrow.

It is all stock except the forks have been raised in the clamps about 6mm.

Never ridden an RM, but we have no complaints on the YZ.

Edited by allrightythen