yz250 slips neutral alot

All 3 of mine do it. I've learned to kick it down 2 or 3 times and never downshift when neutral would send me back down a steep hill.

• Like 1

My 2016 250X tends to do this as well.  I think it's just the nature of the beast.  As mentioned above, I try not to downshift when a missed shift would wreck my day.  Slip the clutch instead lol.

I find being deliberate and careful and NOT using the clutch seems to work better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doc_speeder said:

My 2016 250X tends to do this as well.  I think it's just the nature of the beast.  As mentioned above, I try not to downshift when a missed shift would wreck my day.  Slip the clutch instead lol.

I find being deliberate and careful and NOT using the clutch seems to work better.

Wow really, bit annoying but it's like the only bad thing about the bike so I guess I can live with it

14 hours ago, c00kiebr0s said:

Wow really, bit annoying but it's like the only bad thing about the bike so I guess I can live with it

The tranny is the only bad thing about that bike for sure. If your hard on it doesn't last long

Just now, Motox367 said:

The tranny is the only bad thing about that bike for sure. If your hard on it doesn't last long

Well I don't use the clutch to shift ever and up shift holding it wide open so it's probably not happy

I have had a big issue getting from second to first....sounds easy but it is way harder than my old bike. I am finding I have to do it twice just to make sure it is in first. MANY times i have been in the singletrack and hit neutral just to rev it like crazy. OOPS. just be concious to hit it a few times if you can.

There was some test done on the bike on youtube where they also mention a bunch of their riders having trouble with getting into first. 

Never had this problem on my 250 or 125, maybe your gear lever is set too low.

Ive had plenty other bikes and find the YZ gearbox as smooth as butter compared to other bikes.

1 hour ago, Shawn250 said:

Never had this problem on my 250 or 125, maybe your gear lever is set too low.

Ive had plenty other bikes and find the YZ gearbox as smooth as butter compared to other bikes.

Yes it's very smooth and works great ik. But is more compact than others and not as strong . Keep fresh oil in it and when/if have it split inspect carefully pinion gear coogs,gear wheels and segment for wear.  :ride: try not to miss shift comming out of corners hard wide open 2nd to 3rd. Once that happens it's downhill from there lol

6 hours ago, Motox367 said:

Yes it's very smooth and works great ik. But is more compact than others and not as strong . Keep fresh oil in it and when/if have it split inspect carefully pinion gear coogs,gear wheels and segment for wear.  :ride: try not to miss shift comming out of corners hard wide open 2nd to 3rd. Once that happens it's downhill from there lol

Yeah it's fresh belray oil in it. I plan on putting wr gear in it when I do the bottom end and that's probably not too far away.