87 z50r top end

I'm getting ready to start repairing a 87 z50r. It's set for several years. I was told by a reliable source it ran when just parked out in the weather. I'm a ok Honda repair man but I'm not familiar with these 50 engines. Can any one give me any tips on best engine parts and things to watch for on a 87 z50r engine. Thanks

You will need a flywheel puller to remove the flywheel, the internal threads are left-handed, the tool is RIGHT HERE You will also need a clutch nut tool to remove the clutch assembly, that is RIGHT HERE Those would be the only specialty tools you need

valve adjustments are .002" - intake and .003" - exhaust

points adjustment is .016"

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We buy bikes that were running "when parked" all the time.
We drain the gas, check for spark, use fresh gasoline then see if it starts.
It usually does, may require clearing the pilot jet.
We've never had a bike that required a rebuild.
We have bought many bikes that were "rebuilt", none of those even ran close to good, we part those bikes on ebay.

• Like 1

I tried to kick it over it was stuck. So I soaked it for about 4 to 5 days with no luck. So I took top off. Water had got into the top and sit from piston top up. Valves and guides were rusty also plug came out with half the threads. I tried cleaning the cylinder it was pitted. So I got a used OEM honda cylinder and complete head from a running bike. My honda piston was good so I got new honda rings and a top end gasket kit. I think everything else was ok. My friend is pretty honest it may have set longer then he thought. Idk how long it takes for valves and cylinder to rust. I'm assuming it came in the exhaust. Thanks for your info though! Wish I could have been luckier !