1987 XR600R valve timing problem

1987 XR600R dual carbs. The problem I'm having is the valve timing, manual says, with piston at top dead center on compression stroke, and on the" T" mark, which is what I've done. All rocker arm's are to have free play. My exhaust valve rocker arm's are tight. The intake's have free play. So I need to know what direction I need to go from this point? I've evidently done something wrong? All information will be appreciated. Thanks  

I had the same problem with an 85 xr600r. I tore it down to do a top end rebuild and found the problem to be the drift key, I think that is what it is called. It slides in a groove on the left side of crank to keep the stator drum in place. That has the timing marks, with it out of place, the timing was off.

10 hours ago, piltoyougram said:

1987 XR600R dual carbs. The problem I'm having is the valve timing, manual says, with piston at top dead center on compression stroke, and on the" T" mark, which is what I've done. All rocker arm's are to have free play. My exhaust valve rocker arm's are tight. The intake's have free play. So I need to know what direction I need to go from this point? I've evidently done something wrong? All information will be appreciated. Thanks  

You're at Top Dead Center on the exhaust stroke. Spin the crankshaft one full revolution until you see the T mark again. That will be TDC on the compression stroke. The right exhaust rocker will still be tight due to the automatic compression release , so you need to go past the T mark about 1/8 of a turn.

• Like 1