On 6/21/2017 at 11:08 AM, ROD Kerry said:

Anyone tried the BikeMaster Lithium Batteries as yet? They seem to be a reasonably priced battery!

I did. Died in less than a month. Didn't ride for a couple of week and the heat/humidy in the garage killed it. My SuperB Lithium was 4 years old when I sold a previous bike, it had never been charged, and was still working great. But, Bikemaster did return it under warranty. Maybe I just got a bad egg? None the less, not confidence inspiring since my current bike has no back-up kickstarter.

• 5 months later...

Well it is an issue now!  Stone dead!

I brought my bike out last weekend because the weather was nice.  I cranked over it a few times to get oil pressure before firing it up but then had to move on to something else that came up.  The next day when I tried to crank it the battery was stone dead.  I put a volt meter on it and it read zero.  I realize Li-Io batteries like a special charger but I tried my low-current trickle charger for just a few minutes and the battery did not accept any charge (i.e., still read zero volts).

I just sent an email over to them to see what they say about it...

"...13.5-1 strokers..."  You're KILLING me...

From Tucker Rocky a/k/a BikeMaster

"With the battery sitting at 0v, even a Lithium charger will not charge it back up because it won't be able to "read" it. You may be able to hook a second battery up with it on a Lithium charger and fool it into seeing the voltage and thereby starting the charging process. Once it begins, you can disconnect the second battery.

If you're not riding the bike often, or riding only short periods of time we recommend you keep a maintainer on the battery to keep it topped off. Short rides or sitting for long periods of time can slowly drain it down and eventually shorten the life cycle of the battery."

• Like 2

"...13.5-1 strokers..."  You're KILLING me...
From Tucker Rocky a/k/a BikeMaster
"With the battery sitting at 0v, even a Lithium charger will not charge it back up because it won't be able to "read" it. You may be able to hook a second battery up with it on a Lithium charger and fool it into seeing the voltage and thereby starting the charging process. Once it begins, you can disconnect the second battery.
If you're not riding the bike often, or riding only short periods of time we recommend you keep a maintainer on the battery to keep it topped off. Short rides or sitting for long periods of time can slowly drain it down and eventually shorten the life cycle of the battery."

I have heard of that process in the past, thank you for the reminder.

Just an FYI... I replaced my old lead battery with a Tusk lithium ion battery for my 2011 KTM 450sxf.  Above 40 degrees it's awesome.  Fires up faster and easier again and again when trail riding.  When it was 32 degrees outside... it had to cycle like 10 times before it finally fired the bike up for the first time.  After that it was good.  Does not like the cold temperatures too well.