'18WR250 vs FX250

new plastics and blue wheels were the only changes i had heard of on the wr and fx, but it seems odd as the yamaha site lists upgrades to the wr motor and chassis, but nothing for the fx.   typically the updates flow the other direction, mx version gets factory updates, then the offroad race version gets them, then then trail bike. but yamaha could be changing things up.

Edited by DRS

I'm assuming the 2018 WRs are getting the same updates that the F and FX bikes got last year which the WRs did not.

New Engine
With a new cylinder head, piston, camshafts, transmission internals, ECU settings and a range of other internal updates, the 2018 WR250F features improved power delivery and enhanced durability derived straight from Yamaha's racing team development.

New Frame
The 2018 WR250F features the same advanced frame as the YZ250F motocrosser, including new engine mounts, to revise the rigidity balance and improve rider feedback.

Racing-Derived Updates
For 2018, the WR250F receives a range of updates developed from the YZ250F and FX racing models, including new tires and revised suspension tuning, featuring a new fork seal wiper for durable sealing in the toughest conditions.

• Like 1

That's how I see it too. Bit of a shame that for it's first real update since launch in 15 the WR didn't get some other changes. Personally I had my fingers crossed for a 5kg or so diet and perhaps a slightly lower (as per the YZ) seat height. 

How much of an improvement really are the 2018 updates for the WR? I am seriously considering getting either a WR250f or FX in the near future. I'm betting a can find a hold over 2017 maybe 2016 WR for a good deal when the 18's arrive soon. It sounds like somewhat minor updates but I could be wrong.