Steering Stem Bearings Have Gone Bad

Hi all, 

I have recently bought a used 2001 cr125 off kijiji; Iv'e been doing some badly needed maintenance such as wheel bearings, fork seals, and tire tubes...Steering stem bearings are gone too.  I didn't replace these b/c I'm not sure what I need to do the job.  Now there all seized up.  I had someone on here tell me I could use a hammer and a punch etc. and others are telling me I need to buy this special motion pro $80.00 steering stem bearing remover/punch thingy.  Here is a link to the place where I think I would buy it...https://fortnine.ca/en/motion-pro-steering-stem-bearing-tool-08-0558    My question is, do I have to buy this tool do replace my stem bearings or can i do it with some stuff in the garage. 

Thanks in advance,

Slicing the Air ?

Check out Rocky Mountain ATV. Go to the steering department, (Bearings, tools, etc.) There is a video of one of their technicians doing the entire rebuild and makes it look SOO easy. The kicker... of course he is using all the specialty tools. Seeing how hard he had to hit to make it happen suckered me into buying the required tools. And now I have them forever.

My new steering stem bearings and tools are coming in today so im in the same boat. Havent done it before but just watching the video convinced me to spend the money and get the special tools.

I do it with stuff I have in the garage. With the aluminum frame I can heat with a heat gun and then knock them out. I freeze the races for a couple hours and reheat the frame and they go in with minimal headaches, just takes patience.

• Like 1