Scott's Stabilizer on 300rr?

Anyone running one? The bike, and rider, gets a little nervous at higher speeds off road. Does a stabilizer give the bike a heavier turning feel in the tight trail? I love the way the rr handles in the woods but the open field sections get feel pretty sketchy.

I ran my '16 300rr RE without a Scotts for a year and then decided to put one on.  It wasn't that my Beta was nervous or I needed it.  I have never had one before, on any bike.  Always been a tight wad.   A riding buddy is able to get me a deal on one so I finally opened up my wallet and purchased one. 

It didn't magically transform the bike... it wasn't bad to begin with.  I does make the front feel somewhat heavier/slower.  I can't say I am a fan, or proponent, of using a damper on my bike.  Maybe if you were riding desert all the time it would make more sense?  I will continue to use it a while longer and then take it off to see if I magically grew to like it with the damper and didn't realize it.

I am running the BRP rubber mounted sub-mount.  It raises the bars up, but I was running EnduroEngineering risers before changing over the BRP setup so there wasn't much of a change there.

ScottDamperBeta (2).jpg

• Like 1

Anyone running one? The bike, and rider, gets a little nervous at higher speeds off road. Does a stabilizer give the bike a heavier turning feel in the tight trail? I love the way the rr handles in the woods but the open field sections get feel pretty sketchy.

Yes
Yes
So do I...
Yes

I ran my '16 300rr RE without a Scotts for a year and then decided to put one on.  It wasn't that my Beta was nervous or I needed it.  I have never had one before, on any bike.  Always been a tight wad.   A riding buddy is able to get me a deal on one so I finally opened up my wallet and purchased one. 

It didn't magically transform the bike... it wasn't bad to begin with.  I does make the front feel somewhat heavier/slower.  I can't say I am a fan, or proponent, of using a damper on my bike.  Maybe if you were riding desert all the time it would make more sense?  I will continue to use it a while longer and then take it off to see if I magically grew to like it with the damper and didn't realize it.
I am running the BRP rubber mounted sub-mount.  It raises the bars up, but I was running EnduroEngineering risers before changing over the BRP setup so there wasn't much of a change there.
594ab41db0cca_ScottDamperBeta(2).thumb.jpg.1c5201e93f9deceae11118ae5b8dbca1.jpg

Exactly how I feel about mine.
Altough when I first got it I went with Slavens video on how to set it up, it did make the steering a little heavier. Later I went back to stock settings and it made it feel almost like stock.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, RhinofromWA said:

ScottDamperBeta (2).jpg

What setttings are your running? I can tell your sweep valves are set stock which may not be ideal for what you are doing. I have seen the Slavens video and I don't exactly agree with everything he has to say on it.  Also, you see that sticker on the silver frame bracket that says "take me off"... :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RhinofromWA said:

ScottDamperBeta (2).jpg

Just about identical story here.  Have the same setup on mine, but really only because I got a good deal.  On my KTM, a stabilizer is absolutely necessary.  Damned near unrideable without it.  But the Beta, it's more of a 'nice to have' than a necessity. 

• Like 2

What setttings are your running? I can tell your sweep valves are set stock which may not be ideal for what you are doing. I have seen the Slavens video and I don't exactly agree with everything he has to say on it.  Also, you see that sticker on the silver frame bracket that says "take me off"...

Stock as delivered I guess. I assume you are referring the knob that has a smooth black cap and 4 different people told me not to mess with?

The other knob with the pointed indicator on it... I've ran full open, and then increased incrementally to heavy as I dared take it. All I could notice was the bike feeling heavier and it steered slower.

That sticker is worth atleast 2hp.

• Like 2

I've had scotts dampers on other bikes.. with my 300 rr it hasn't been necessary. I mean I could put one on. I have an extra one on the side. I would only need the mounts.. I planned on putting it on but it's stable at speed. No need.. I'd say maybe try different suspension settings first .. or get one anyway if you want and try. It's just not a cheap mod. You can sell it later if it's not a big difference..

• Like 1

You could try a little more sag if your a rear steer guy 108. The Beta doesn't really need it, I did it because I have a rotator cuff on borrowed time, tring to avoid surgery as long as possible.

damper.jpg

I have a damper on all my bikes. I know they say it's not necessary if your bike is set up correctly. But I'm not a suspension guru and I tend to set it and forget it. It just adds peace of mind. Also when I get tired, I tend to wobble on the trail. The damper helps me keep it under control

18 hours ago, RhinofromWA said:

Stock as delivered I guess. I assume you are referring the knob that has a smooth black cap and 4 different people told me not to mess with? emoji16.png

The other knob with the pointed indicator on it... I've ran full open, and then increased incrementally to heavy as I dared take it. All I could notice was the bike feeling heavier and it steered slower.

That sticker is worth atleast 2hp.

OK, so on the Low speed knob, with the pointer we start at full hard- stock settings are:

Low Speed= 8 clicks out from full hard

High Speed (screw under the cap) would be 1 turn out from full hard

Sweeps (screws on side with bevel cut at end of slot, don't look at the hole) bevel cut at 12:00

Now from what I am gathering you either have to much low speed damping and your steering is stiff or you have to little and the high speed is spiking on you. The damper works just like your shock so if you understand high speed damping there it is the same principal. I would start with these settings:

Low Speed- 12-16 clicks out from full hard.

High Speed- Stock 1 turn out.

Sweeps- bevel facing 3:00 AS YOU LOOK AT THEM- many many many people get that wrong-  

The above setting are a good start for slow, tighter terrain or MX. Now if you find you need to turn the low speed even looser you will find that you will need to loosen the High Speed screw out in 1/8 turn increments. The reason why is if you have the low speed set tight you can never move the bars fast enough to activate the high speed. As you turn the low speed looser the bars move easier and the high speed becomes more reactive. 

If you get lost give us a call Monday through Friday from 9-6 and we will help dial you in. It helps if you call us next to the bike with the bike on a stand so the front wheel will move.

Thanks-

Eric

• Like 1

I am using the new fastway. I didnt need one for many years. Recently our series started a.m. for trail, D, and C riders and then P.M. for B,A,Pro. The courded sre hacked to death after the 2 hour morning race. I was really unstable at speed pinned 5th and 6th coming into corners and the roots and ruts have been awful. The stabilizer made a huge difference. I am only 4 clicks in on slow and 2 past midway on fast with about 1/3 of back to center damping. It has transformed my confidence. But if I go up much more than 4 clicks in the woods it is too slow and heavy.

1 hour ago, Eric@ScottsPerformance said:

OK, so on the Low speed knob, with the pointer we start at full hard- stock settings are:

Low Speed= 8 clicks out from full hard

High Speed (screw under the cap) would be 1 turn out from full hard

Sweeps (screws on side with bevel cut at end of slot, don't look at the hole) bevel cut at 12:00

Now from what I am gathering you either have to much low speed damping and your steering is stiff or you have to little and the high speed is spiking on you. The damper works just like your shock so if you understand high speed damping there it is the same principal. I would start with these settings:

Low Speed- 12-16 clicks out from full hard.

High Speed- Stock 1 turn out.

Sweeps- bevel facing 3:00 AS YOU LOOK AT THEM- many many many people get that wrong-  

The above setting are a good start for slow, tighter terrain or MX. Now if you find you need to turn the low speed even looser you will find that you will need to loosen the High Speed screw out in 1/8 turn increments. The reason why is if you have the low speed set tight you can never move the bars fast enough to activate the high speed. As you turn the low speed looser the bars move easier and the high speed becomes more reactive. 

If you get lost give us a call Monday through Friday from 9-6 and we will help dial you in. It helps if you call us next to the bike with the bike on a stand so the front wheel will move.

Thanks-

Eric

Thanks for the info Eric.  I will have to tinker some more. 

It just felt like I was wrestling a bigger and bigger bear as I increased the Low Speed damping. 

BearWrestler.jpg

• Like 1