Redington Pass, Tucson, AZ...17 minutes to Chiva Falls

I've been playing around with GoPro locations. I just tried mounting to my chest protector...not as easy as you think...if too high, helmet hits it when I look down. If it's mounted too far out, bar pad hits it on rough climbs...perspective changes when standing...see more bike and ground and less/no sky...going to try to point a little higher next time...

• Like 2

Looks like a great trail. Haven't made it out that way yet, I'm in Havasu.
I'm not a fan of chest mount for the reasons you mentioned and the shakiness make it hard to watch, but all mounting spots have there drawbacks.
I've ripped cameras clean off my helmet catching tree branches but I like the POV from up there. I add some height so it doesn't catch the visor in the frame but I look pretty dorky bouncing down the trail.
IMG_4196.PNG

Ha!  Apparently just as rocky as it ever was.  We used to go out there all the time back in the early and mid 80s, doesn't look like it's changed a bit.  BTW, the Rincons are some nice hiking, much less traffic than the Catalinas.

Looks like a great trail. Haven't made it out that way yet, I'm in Havasu.

I'm not a fan of chest mount for the reasons you mentioned and the shakiness make it hard to watch, but all mounting spots have there drawbacks.

I've ripped cameras clean off my helmet catching tree branches but I like the POV from up there. I add some height so it doesn't catch the visor in the frame but I look pretty dorky bouncing down the trail.

IMG_4196.thumb.PNG.7d528eccee967767d91c3bc7d4dc1c39.PNG

Hey. Drop me a note if you are ever out this way. Check out the Redington Pass OHV area. Just a 15 min drive from my house. Chiva Falls is my usual trail. I'm often riding by myself. It's the most populated, but this was taken on a weekday, so no one else was around.

Like most people, I was pretty excited to film my riding exploits with a GoPro but was really disappointed with how it flattens things out in front when the camera is mounted on top of the helmet.

I know it looks shaky, but to tell you the truth, for me, the chest mount is a very "immersive" perspective. When I watch the video, I really feel like I'm riding it again. It really shows what the bike is doing and the skill level of the rider and how tough it is...

So, since I'm the only one who watches my videos, I thought I would play around a bit with it...

BTW, anyone riding a dirt bike like you are in that pic doesn't look dorky, no matter what you have on your head!

Ha!  Apparently just as rocky as it ever was.  We used to go out there all the time back in the early and mid 80s, doesn't look like it's changed a bit.  BTW, the Rincons are some nice hiking, much less traffic than the Catalinas.

Yeah...Redington pass is an amazing OHV area. Just 15 min from my house! As you said, the terrain is really rocky. But, also has deep sand, loose rocks, and water (in winter and spring). Tears up any tire described as soft or intermediate or any tire with wide lug spacing. I love AT81s, but they don't last. I go through rear tires so often, I always keep an extra around! I have a new 120/100-18 Maxxis Desert IT to try next. Looks like a good lug spacing on the 120 (the 110 is a bit different).

When I'm with friends who don't ride, we will go up to the Catalinas to hike...it's 8,000 ft, so feels pretty cool in the summer. I have not hiked the Rincons. I have seen the Arizona Trail marker where it crosses Redington road.

Take care...I think you are up in the four corners area?

Just now, Sofiedog said:

Yeah...Redington pass is an amazing OHV area. Just 15 min from my house! As you said, the terrain is really rocky. But, also has deep sand, loose rocks, and water (in winter and spring). Tears up any tire described as soft or intermediate or any tire with wide lug spacing. I love AT81s, but they don't last. I go through rear tires so often, I always keep an extra around! I have a new 120/100-18 Maxxis Desert IT to try next. Looks like a good lug spacing on the 120 (the 110 is a bit different).
When I'm with friends who don't ride, we will go up to the Catalinas...it's 8,000 ft, so feels pretty cool in the summer. I have not hiked the Rincons. I have seen the Arizona Trail marker where it crosses Redington road.
Take care...I think you are up in the four corners area?

Yep, north of Aztec, just south of Durango.  My parents and sister still live in Tucson, west side in the Tucson Mtns.  We get over that way once or twice a year, but it always seems like its summer so we don't bring the bikes.  I was there last July and took my youngest son hiking in the Catalinas, he was amazed that that terrain existed there.  I used to wheel a lot out there in the Jeep, even took my XR500R there a few times back in the mid 80s.

Hey. Drop me a note if you are ever out this way. Check out the Redington Pass OHV area. Just a 15 min drive from my house. Chiva Falls is my usual trail. I'm often riding by myself. It's the most populated, but this was taken on a weekday, so no one else was around.

Like most people, I was pretty excited to film my riding exploits with a GoPro but was really disappointed with how it flattens things out in front when the camera is mounted on top of the helmet.

I know it looks shaky, but to tell you the truth, for me, the chest mount is a very "immersive" perspective. When I watch the video, I really feel like I'm riding it again. It really shows what the bike is doing and the skill level of the rider and how tough it is...

So, since I'm the only one who watches my videos, I thought I would play around a bit with it...

BTW, anyone riding a dirt bike like you are in that pic doesn't look dorky, no matter what you have on your head!

Thanks man and same here, if you make it out this way to Havasu/Parker hit me up.

I also have a Moto Group where I post rides and what not.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1644946075722170?ref=bookmarks

What's your YouTube channel and I'll check it out so you're not the only one watching

I'm thinking of trying something mounted on the face piece, maybe best of both worlds.