sandking11

300 2 stroke supermoto review

Few weeks ago I'd managed to get some talon supermoto wheels.

Unfortunately they were from a 2012 bike.  This means that although the rear wheel was the same same the front spindle didn't fit as the 2013 onwards front wheel spindles are thinner at 22mm

You cant just fit the newer wheel spacers straight into the wheels (as you would with the standard ktm wheel) as the talon wheels spacers are different.   

I machined some new spacers and everything fitted no problem. 

Firstly the sidestand is now too bloody short. The slightest of breeze would knock it over so be warned!

I changed the gearing. 1 tooth extra on the front (which cancels out the smaller wheels) 

The rear has been fitted with a 47 tooth rear.

As we all know these bikes now run a counterbalancer . This, with road tyres makes for a very normal ride.

I'm a bit freaked out by it all. It surprising  just how normal it feels on the road.

Suspension feels firm (compared to normal trail bikes).  if I had to compare it to another bike I'd say like a er6 for fork dive etc.

The brakes with the standard sized disc are still very strong. I wasn't riding 10/10ths  but definitely a good pace and the brakes didn't suffer.

The engine performance was still decent, but the animal it is off road doesn't exist on road. It'll still wheelie off the throttle in 4th gear easy. 

Its still fast, but don't expect to be chasing gsxr1000''s 

20170621_193742_zpsexb0fre5.jpg

• Like 2

Cheers guys. Yeah Ill give it my best shot.  We have a lovely little race circuit round here so I'm going to give it a go

• Like 1

Any update on the supermoto? I’m planning on doing this with a 19 300XC, I know it won’t have the monster power but how is it on the freeway short distances? Badass bike btw

22 minutes ago, 69shovelsled said:

Any update on the supermoto? I’m planning on doing this with a 19 300XC, I know it won’t have the monster power but how is it on the freeway short distances? Badass bike btw

Distance isn't really an issue. It's more about varying the rpms a bit and not sitting at high rpms for too long. Nearly 50HP and 245-250 lbs means it should blow away a Ninja 400 from a stop, and out-handle most regular street bikes. I wonder how the mileage is cruising along in 5th or 6th gear.

Brought this one back from the dead!

I didn't cover a great deal of miles with it but it would cruise at 60mph no worries.

As long as the jetting is close it will run smooth. The 17 plus bikes just run so smooth with the counterbalancer.

It just felt like a normal bike. Imagine a lighter, more powerful crm250.  Stick a decent bulb in it and indicators and you could commute on it I reckon as long as your journey isn't more than 10-15 miles.

At the time it was geared for 90mph but could pull way more which would help higher speed cruising. 

My biggest gripe isn't the bikes fault but you'll worry wherever you park it. Everybody wants to steal it .

I get approximately 55-60 to a tank off road so expect to better that on the road.

• Like 2