I know were only a few races into motocross however I was wondering what yall though about a whoop section after the first turn in supercross. I stumbled across a crash compilation on youtube and a majority of the tragic crashes seem to happen off the start in the middle of the pack. My theory is the whoop section would slow them down and give a little more room to spread out prior to the big rhythm lanes thus lowering the number of people being landed on by 350+ pounds of man and machine.

Thoughts?

I would think that a tight pack + whoops that early is just asking for trouble. 2 things that I think should not right after the 1st turn are whoops or a big rhythm section. My reasoning is that it doesn't take much for a mistake to turn into a big problem in either obstacle. Then you factor in that so many riders are around you and it becomes magnified even more. Just my .02

Edited by ah665
  • Like 3

But if it was a real short start straight and nasty enough woops, maybe the speed will be slow enough the wrecks and pile ups would not cause injuries.

Or maybe real deep sand instead of woops.

• Like 1

A rational person might take it easy in a packed whoops sections...but we are talking about Supercross racers, and none of them are going to yield an inch of room.  So a whoops section after the holeshot is asking for trouble.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ah665 said:

I would think that a tight pack + whoops that early is just asking for trouble. 2 things that I think should not right after the 1st turn are whoops or a big rhythm section. My reasoning is that it doesn't take much for a mistake to turn into a big problem in either obstacle. Then you factor in that so many riders are around you and it becomes magnified even more. Just my .02

what do you want, another straight after the first turn.. :ride:

If they could put a matrix log section in the first turn, there would be plenty of space thereafter.  

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, OUTERLIMITS said:

If they could put a matrix log section in the first turn, there would be plenty of space thereafter.  

But not before they hit the tractor tire jump. SX needs to go Erzberg style!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Mongo134 said:

I think they should put the start gate IN the whoops! :devil:

Yeah sand whoops!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 505 YZ125 said:

I know were only a few races into motocross however I was wondering what yall though about a whoop section after the first turn in supercross. I stumbled across a crash compilation on youtube and a majority of the tragic crashes seem to happen off the start in the middle of the pack. My theory is the whoop section would slow them down and give a little more room to spread out prior to the big rhythm lanes thus lowering the number of people being landed on by 350+ pounds of man and machine.

Thoughts?

I was wondering that all through the SX season this year.  Having a pack all bunched together in the whoops isn't a super idea either.  Chad Reed &%$#@!ed himself up pretty bad eating shit in the whoops (seems like someone in front of him &%$#@!ed up).  

The safest thing to do would be to do 2 starting rows with the faster guys up front.  I know that idea wouldn't be popular but lets not kid ourselves, only 10 450 riders at most at a SX event have a realistic chance of winning.  

If there was a little bit of some whoops right after the gate or a big single or something I think that would be cool. But they are already short on dirt and using a lot of dirt on a place that will only see bikes once a race is kind of a waste

• Like 1

Supercross has gotten way too soft.  I think they should follow Mongo's lead, starting gate in the middle of the whoops, and then a quad out of a tight turn right over this.  Separate the men from the boys, that's what I say.

cuba-221157_1280-768x508.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TDW said:

Yeah sand whoops!!

Was going to suggest starting them off in a boghole.

But clearly that idea has nothing, as a suggestion of an alligator pit has been made.

1 hour ago, ossidog said:

Jump sharks too

with "laser beams" attached to their heads.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BushPig said:

Was going to suggest starting them off in a boghole.

But clearly that idea has nothing, as a suggestion of an alligator pit has been made.

with "laser beams" attached to their heads.

th.jpg

• Like 1

You guys better learn to love supercross, within 3 years thats probably all you'll have.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Havingfun said:

what do you want, another straight after the first turn.. :ride:

Lol, I think you know what I mean. For sure no whoops and If there is a really technical combo section or something, I would rather that be later in the lap, once people are more spread out.

• Like 1