Air Striker or Lectron?

Still futzin' around with jetting on my 96 300.  Have no idea if the carb is original or not, so I bought a new PWK 38AS from Jets-R-us instead of a cheapo knock-off from Ebay.  This bike came with the non-AS PWK, so I'm hoping that my issues can be solved here.  If not, then we're looking at an ignition problem.  If that's the case, I'll sell the bike and get a newer model.  My problem has been the same for 3yrs now, despite all my jetting/slides/needle changes, PV springs, and exhaust de-carboning.  The bike rarely wants to hit the powerband.  I've checked all the usual items and cannot not find the source of the problem.  Either the carb is just too worn out, or I've got trouble with the SEM ignition. For those who have an opinion on the two carbs, please share.  I went with the AS simply because I can bolt it onto another used 2-stroke easier than a Lectron.  They seem built for specific applications.

Lectrons are great, Keihins are great.  Lectron is a direct bolt on, plug and play.  

I switched to Lectron about 2 1/2 years ago. Love mine, some guys don't like them.  For me ot smoothed out the hit, FI like power which works for me. 

• Like 1

You have a new PWK, right? You tried various jetting. The new PWK probably came with a 7 slide and DDJ needle? The "powerband" as you put it starts around 3/8 throttle and up. Almost all jetting issues are in the off idle to 3/8 throttle area, usually sputtering rich, spooge, hesitation, etc. I seriously doubt it's the new carb. Look at your PV, make sure it's operating and fully opening, they gum up. You also want to have a fresh engine, not clapped out. Lastly the old SEM ignitions were troublesome. Do you have a screen type spark arrester, if so clean the screen or you may have an exhaust restriction.

• Like 1

I would definitely dump that sem ignition and convert to the later kokusan. Do a search, not difficult to do. Also, if you want to be able to adjust your powervalve, look at getting that assembly from any 98 up 250/300. Ebay is your friend for those.

I doubt your carv was "bad". There really isnt much too these. But if your symptoms are the same now as before, and you dont see much change good or bad with jet changes, sounds like your issue is something else. You can verify if your pv is openging by removing the left control cover and first seeing where it lines up, then starting and reving it should be moving.

how are your reeds? Have you looked down your silencer? I remeber those sem setups making for wierd issues. 

There is nothing about the lectron that won't swap to another bike other than body length on some bikes. You swap the needle if needed. Mine's on the 4th bike now. 

I doubt it's a bad carb. 

I've fought bikes to get them right but 3 years? I'd move on.