450 cornering and turning

Ok so me and a few if my buddies found a lil area to ride I guess you could call it a little track we made but nothing serious their is a lot of sharp turns up hill downhill on loose dirt and packed dirt they are really good at cornering and turning I'm not the best I want to get better I want to know how to approach the turn what to do before and during the turn please help

Just like learning anything else. Practice... make a small loop so you can concentrate on the turns and know what's comin up. You can even do a figure 8. Make them different radiuses and really work it. It'll come

22 minutes ago, Jake_belche757 said:

Ok so me and a few if my buddies found a lil area to ride I guess you could call it a little track we made but nothing serious their is a lot of sharp turns up hill downhill on loose dirt and packed dirt they are really good at cornering and turning I'm not the best I want to get better I want to know how to approach the turn what to do before and during the turn please help

Check out Ryan Hughes videos on you tube. Hes got some good shit. However, a 450 is a hard bike to turn. You can always raise the forks up in the clamps and move the rear tire and axle up to shorten wheelbase. Also you can adjust rebound and compression settings which also makes it more nimble. But all that's for naught if you don't first set the sag correctly and then of course as the other guy said, seat time.

Jake, you'll want to start off creating a circle, fig8 or a series of switchbacks type tracks on semi flat ground to flat ground.  Ride them very slow to the point you are dragging your feet and throttle/brake to be able to cut a 1-3 inch grove in the turns. Focus on being smooth and holding the line, with that will come speed maintain a smooth transition into and out of the turn, focus on traction not spinning the wheel through the apex and keeping those tires in that grove. 

Best thing to help  you is getting up on the pegs, standing in a neutral body position but as you start to enter the turn sit towards the tank so your weight shifts forward, you can also grab a little front brake maintaining throttle control so that front end dives some, that weight transition will help you stick that front end. As you enter the turn keep the weight on that outside peg, the inside leg get it out in front if your motor and up towards the front fender for balance. You never want your leg dragging behind you. A lot to remember but practicing slow you will put it all together and as you practice you'll pick up speed and make it second nature. It took me even at my older age a while to get it down and break a bunch of old bad habits from riding racing/desert and get those old MX skills back. Destry Abbott put me through my paces many times. Great instructor...  DA8 Training :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Once you have done the above and cut the grove you will find that your riding will improve and that 1-3 inch grove will become 6-12 inches deep in no time and you'll be railing through in 2-4th gears and once you get the above down then you can start working on the same thing in different types of terrain conditions, rocky, sandy, down hill, up hill off camber, berms but all good, we all start somewhere.  Good Luck.

Edited by Diamond-Dave
  • Like 1