Sign in to follow this  

Removing Decompression Lever for Kick Starting

Hello All,

I recently purchased a 2009 YZ450F (and recently signed up to the forums) and have a question regarding the hot start lever - I believe that's what its called.

So when I bought the bike the guy selling it showed me how I had to press this lever with my thumb in order to start the bike. I don't know if these bikes come with this (couldn't find it in the manual), but I don't like it and don't want it. I read something on here about an older bike ~2001 where you could replace something from an 03 version of the bike where it had an automatic compression blah blah blah and voila, no more thumb action needed while kick starting. Is there something similar I can do on my 2009?

Thanks!

Edited by awoitte

A 2009 does not have a manual decompression lever

That is the hot start lever

You have an auto decompression system built into the exahust cam, as all yamahas since 2003

If it requires hot start to get it going, the jetting is not right.

Read the pinned posts at the top of this forum

4 hours ago, Krannie McKranface said:

A 2009 does not have a manual decompression lever

That is the hot start lever

You have an auto decompression system built into the exahust cam, as all yamahas since 2003

If it requires hot start to get it going, the jetting is not right.

Read the pinned posts at the top of this forum

Hi! 

Thanks for the response, Krannie. Taking a look at the pinned posts..

Pinned post 1 of 4: 2010/2011 YZ450F, not relevant as I described my bike as a 2009.

Pinned post 2 of 4: Pics of your 06-09, not relevant as I'm asking a mechanical question, not looking at photos.

Pinned post 3 of 4: Only mentioning of a hot start is what to do when your bike dies and you need to start your engine when it is warm/hot

Pinned post 4 of 4: User Jetting Database, very little on the bike information itself, more on individual experiences with no mention of "hot start"..

Mr Krannie, I appreciate your comment, it didn't prove much use. I'm still lost, you pointed me into several directions yet I haven't found an answer to the question I asked in my original post. 

I mean no offense but it sounds like a contradiction when you say "It's a hot start lever, if it requires a hot start to get it going, the jetting is not right." Why would there be a lever for a hot start if it shouldn't require it in the first place? Please sir, I ask that you elaborate on your referencing. I'm merely looking for a reason as to why I have this lever in the first place and if it can be removed without harm. 

Thanks!

Hot start is for starting when hot ONLY

Even then, we are talking after stalling it when hot, not just restarting.

Try doing a little searching, down load an OEM Yamaha service manual from Yamaha's web site. That would be the first thing I would do if I were you, and start reading it.

You are correct, there will not be a thread on your misunderstanding of the hot start, but this thread will cover most of the questions you might have about the carb'd YZ's:

9 hours ago, awoitte said:

Hi! 

Thanks for the response, Krannie. Taking a look at the pinned posts..

Pinned post 1 of 4: 2010/2011 YZ450F, not relevant as I described my bike as a 2009.

Pinned post 2 of 4: Pics of your 06-09, not relevant as I'm asking a mechanical question, not looking at photos.

Pinned post 3 of 4: Only mentioning of a hot start is what to do when your bike dies and you need to start your engine when it is warm/hot

Pinned post 4 of 4: User Jetting Database, very little on the bike information itself, more on individual experiences with no mention of "hot start"..

Mr Krannie, I appreciate your comment, it didn't prove much use. I'm still lost, you pointed me into several directions yet I haven't found an answer to the question I asked in my original post. 

I mean no offense but it sounds like a contradiction when you say "It's a hot start lever, if it requires a hot start to get it going, the jetting is not right." Why would there be a lever for a hot start if it shouldn't require it in the first place? Please sir, I ask that you elaborate on your referencing. I'm merely looking for a reason as to why I have this lever in the first place and if it can be removed without harm. 

Thanks!

You still didn't respond to my initial question, which was:

Is there a workaround, alternative, or something I can do to have this lever on my handle bars removed. I don't want it there and would like it to be gone. 

Hot start is the exact opposite of a choke.  A cold engine likes a low air to fuel mixture ratio to start (the reasons why are beyond the scope of this message).  A choke blocks air and increases fueling creating that lower than normal air to fuel mixture ratio required to start the cold engine.  A hot engine likes a higher than normal air to fuel mixture ratio to start.  The hot start lever gives you a way to increase the air to fuel ratio to make hot starting easier.  

Doc

Edited by Doc_d

On 6/22/2017 at 8:14 AM, awoitte said:

You still didn't respond to my initial question, which was:

Is there a workaround, alternative, or something I can do to have this lever on my handle bars removed. I don't want it there and would like it to be gone. 

Replace the hot start lever and cable with a choke pull assembly directly mounted to the carb.

Edited by Krannie McKranface
  • Like 1

Thanks for the responses y'all, after looking into it some more I'm realizing this is a good thing. I've been out of the game so long, and my 02' yz250 didn't have one so it just seemed so foreign to me.

Cheers!