toasted cam/rocker

hello! after listening to a nice top end tap that sounded a little worse than a valve tap i decided to pull the motor. look what i found!

only one cam rocker/one surface on the camshaft is dead, so i think the oiling hole in that section got plugged somehow. c'est la vie. rockymountainatv still has the rocker arms in stock, but obviously the camshaft itself is nowhere to be found. i'm sorta done spending money on this bike so i'm looking to get it running but don't need any new high performance parts. i'd prefer an oem cam - but it doesn't sound possible as of right now(none on ebay.)  are my only options the cams from webcams or megacycle and just getting the basest model they have for the xl?

0621171424.jpg

0621171425a.jpg

good to know  that BH and i are on the same page! i guess 250 for the webcamshaft isn't too bad for what it is.

Buttttttttt  you need to send the rockers in too...they hardweld them and reprofile them to match the cam..same materials touching each other wear better..

I had a previous  welded cam eat itself to death when the OE rockers were used..the builder said I would have no issues even though I said we`d better do the rockers too..

B

• Like 1

About  2 months.....around 3000 miles and I saw particles in the oil..i removed the valve cover to see the rockers good,,and the cam going to blazes.

I should have insisted and got the rockers hardwelded too ..I knew better,,

B

All depends on which is the harder material..in this case the cam was a little softer..

Megacycle  and  Webcam always advise hardwelded rockers with their cams..

B

Never tried Webcam yet......but Megacycle does a freekin beautifull job,i was seriously impressed with their maching work,,chamfering the oil holes and regrind breakin pattern..haven`t seen decent work like that in awhile I guess:lol:

I imagine Webcam is every bit as good..

B

At least Webcam has a decent website , Megacycle's website is primitive , to say the least.

Yeah megacycles has a pretty dang useless site. Quite a bit more expensive than webcams too. They quoted me around 375 for a cam with my core while webcams wanted only 250

I have an xr 600 cam that I got with the bearings and the sprocket . Ill sell it for $120 shipped .

Its a dual carb cam . The only thing you'll lose is your tach drive .I had bought it for

an 83 xl that Im not doing anything with. There is what looks like a scratc on on lobe but its glare reflection

IMG_1206.JPG

IMG_1208.JPG

IMG_1209.JPG

IMG_1212.JPG

• Like 1

Yippee it should be delivered today

good luck ,Bob .

I think so! I'm on vacation now, I'll get back late tomorrow and I'll check. Was surprised it got delivered so quickly! Expected to get back to LA well before it got there ha

Good news, Glad to hear that you got back and its there.

Please do shoot me pics of it running, My first attempt

at sending this mesage failed, so this might be out of order.

I couldn't find your latest response. Thanks, send pics. Bob.