Sign in to follow this  

Frame Painting Question

Is it possible to paint over a frame that has recently been painted with Krylon spray paint and clear coat using an engine enamel? Can the enamel simply be sprayed right over the clear or would some prep be required?

We painted a piece of equipment at work with some Ford engine enamel and the paint has yet to scratch or scuff! I'm thinking this stuff may be better on my frame than regualr rattle can paint and clear.

By the way, I'm trying to avoid spending hundreds for powder coating or professional painting. I'm just looking for something that will be durable and not scratch / scuff easily.

A can of primer would be money well spent, especially if the last coat is a clear.

6 hours ago, rocket0322 said:

Is it possible to paint over a frame that has recently been painted with Krylon spray paint and clear coat using an engine enamel? Can the enamel simply be sprayed right over the clear or would some prep be required?

We painted a piece of equipment at work with some Ford engine enamel and the paint has yet to scratch or scuff! I'm thinking this stuff may be better on my frame than regualr rattle can paint and clear.

By the way, I'm trying to avoid spending hundreds for powder coating or professional painting. I'm just looking for something that will be durable and not scratch / scuff easily.

has you every tried to paint a piece of glass ?

you need to dull the clear coat with a scotch brite pad or the paint will not bond properly