What innertubes do you use?

I get flats all the time running the Bridgestone 150-160 70/17 (part number 549541). Maybe it's because I ride off road with them sometimes and do a lot of wheelies, but I keep my rear at 28 PSI, and have am on my 4th rear tube in less than a year. 

What are some beefier supermoto tubes? Can't find heavy duty tubes in this width, just for 18" dirt wheels.

1 hour ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

I've had 1 flat in 11 years, from a screw. What condition is your rim band in? Have you checked for loose spokes? Unless your riding and jumping in rocky terrian I would suspect a mechanical issue with the wheel first.

I have never personally seen the rim band, I hand over my wheel and it comes back with PSI >0. Don't have the tools or patience to change them myself but I'm spending so much on this shit I should invest in the right tools to do it. 

Spoke tension I do watch out for. None have ever been extremely loose but I have had to get my rear rim trued, probably 4 months ago. I do ride occasionally in the dirt, and do some small jumps.

Back in the early days of supermoto here in the U.S. I used to go buy 16" tubes at an independent Harley shop. I would just get the ~$8 IRC tubes with a center stem. I'd get the 5" ones for the rear and the 130/90 size for the fronts. Ran them in slicks, rains, DOT race tires on kart tracks and in the SoCal desert. I only ever got one flat and it was out in the desert - rain tire on the front. Never really discovered why.

So I never bought expensive tubes and got by fine. I'd either use the extra wide rim strips for Harley wheels or duct tape.

I agree with all the folks who recommend investigating your wheel.

Also, FWIW, I'm running a bridgestone 150 S11 EVO on the rear of my DR that I converted. I don't remember what I used for a tube, but it wasn't anything special. I only ride it on the street so far...just haven't had reason/desire to go offroad. No problems in 2000 miles.

Edited by molochnik

Next flat I get I'll inspect the band and rim. Thanks guys.

Maybe I should convert to tubeless. At least that way if you catch a nail, you can plug it with a mushroom.

Edited by HansLanda
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

POPPED ANOTHER. This latest one lasted 15 days and 750 miles. I'm taking it to a different shop this time, because I think the dealer that's been doing it for me is shoddy. I'm going to watch them inspect the tube and tire, true the rim, replace the tube, and balance my wheel.

What should I be looking for? Yes I do ride with my SM wheels off road a bit, and do wheelies and stoppies. Are these tubes just that fragile or does this riding need better tubes? We'll see what the inspection tells me.

I'm running Michelin airstop butyl tubes and I've never had a flat running hard on the track.  I do keep the jam nut on the stem snugged lightly to the rim to stop the tube/stem from rotating, and I'll generally sprinkle a little baby powder (or foot powder) on a fresh tube to keep the two rubbers from sticking to each other.   I'm running pressures anywhere between 15-26 psi hot depending on the track layout and tire temperatures after a session.  Only time I replace a tube is if I notice any corrosion starting to form on the stem, or generally every 3-5 years.

13 hours ago, zibbit u2 said:

Michelin airstop butyl tubes

Could you link me to these? I can only find them in 18" and 21". 

Taking my wheel to a shop this week and I'll take some pics of any damage. Wish they made mousses for street. I'd buy some 30 PSI ones asap.

Edited by HansLanda

3 hours ago, HansLanda said:

Could you link me to these? I can only find them in 18" and 21". 

Taking my wheel to a shop this week and I'll take some pics of any damage. Wish they made mousses for street. I'd buy some 30 PSI ones asap.

They're available through MotoVan which is where all Canadian dealerships have to order from.  You'll have to order the street tubes. 

http://www.powersportscanada.com/eshopprod_cat_9704-62406-62438_product_2106029.MICHELIN_TUBES.htm

Front tube is : 99-318 or 99-323
Rear tube is : 99-337

Edited by zibbit u2
  • Like 1

POPPED ANOTHER. This latest one lasted 15 days and 750 miles. I'm taking it to a different shop this time, because I think the dealer that's been doing it for me is shoddy. I'm going to watch them inspect the tube and tire, true the rim, replace the tube, and balance my wheel.

What should I be looking for? Yes I do ride with my SM wheels off road a bit, and do wheelies and stoppies. Are these tubes just that fragile or does this riding need better tubes? We'll see what the inspection tells me.

My 1st question is how are they failing? Are you running over sharp objects and getting punctures? Are you pinching the tube riding in rocky/ hard terrian with too low of air pressure? I still think the wheel itself may be suspect.

Wheelies and stoppie shouldn't cause it. I've had the bike in the air similar to your photo shop table with no issues. The inner tubes aren't "popping" like a balloon. Whatever the reason, it's preventable once to identify it.

23 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

My 1st question is why are they failing? Are you running over sharp objects and getting punctures? Are you pinching the tube riding in rocky/ hard terrian with too low of air pressure? I still think the wheel itself may be suspect.

Wheelies and stoppie shouldn't cause it. I've had the bike in the air similar to your photo shop table with no issues. The inner tubes aren't "popping" like a balloon. Whatever the reason, it's preventable once to identify it.

That is the question. I never watched as they install the tubes or change my tires. This time I will watch carefully. I know I'm not "popping" them, it's just the term I used.

For the rear I run 30 PSI street, 25 track. When I do go offroad on the 17s, I am at 30 PSI. Did not notice any punctures in the tire this time, or most of other times.

I think the shop I've been using is sloppy. Last flat, I put some slime in the tube. This flat had liquid seeping out of the spokes. So we'll see how lazy they are when I open it up tomorrow.

But what else should I check? Obviously the rim, band, check how the old tube went flat, check the tire for anything sharp.

Edited by HansLanda

1 minute ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Loose spokes or ends protruding thru the band.

Yes I do have a loose spoke right now. The nipple and spoke are stuck together. Trying to tighten the nipple twists the spoke as well. Tried to loosen them with penetrant, pliers and spoke wrench. Couldn't do it yet. Going to have the mech figure it out when he trues the rim.

When I began riding my YZ250 in flat track trim on supermoto tracks, I was experimenting with tire pressures that were too low to responsibly post on a forum. This was with my cheap IRC tubes I was buying from a chopper shop. The tires got hot, but they didn't go flat.

With proper supermoto wheels/tires I ran the same pressures you are and all was fine except for the one flat mentioned a while back. This was in the SoCal desert with sharp edged rocks and all the other crap out here.

I always applied baby powder liberally and if I did use any lube, it was the vegetable based lube I got with my No-Mar tire changer. If you're using something like dish soap, it could very well be drying them out and causing these mystery flats.

I would be astonished if the mechanics you're dubious of would be able to pinch the tube and it would still hold air...for a while.

I'm with the dudes who are suspecting you've got some spoke ends poking the tube, or perhaps a chewed up wheel/stem hole.

• Like 1

Ok so in this case looks like a nail. Didn't see this when it first popped. I rode it on really low PSI since it was close to my house, and I was going to true the rim up anyway. It's possible I caught the nail then, but I doubt it, who knows. I will be taking a look inside tomorrow. Hopefully this was the only puncture.

2017-07-11 17.56.29.jpg

Ugh; during the building boom out here in the AV back in the 2000s, there were nails all over the road. Often seemed to be in intersections where a box would likely fall off of a truck pulling away from a stop sign.